Prologue

Tsumi

I was walking through the school halls with Chiho, having a casual conversation. "So you think you might be willing to work at the restaurant with me, Tsu?" Chiho asked and I smiled.

"I might check out trying to apply there then." I said and I accidentally bumped into someone and I fell on my butt before looking to see who it was.

"You alright there?" He asked and I felt my face heat up a bit at how he looked. He had dark blue hair with white ends and gold eyes. He seemed pretty handsome to me and I smiled a bit.

"Couldn't be better." I said, like a typical idiot. "I-I mean-uh-" I stuttered and the boy chuckled, helping me up. I felt my face heat up a bit more as I caught balance on my feet.

"It's fine. Just be more careful, cutie. Here." He handed me a piece of paper with a phone number on it.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed and Chiho watched in confusion as I walked over to her. "I got his number!" I squeaked and she got a worried look.

"Tsu, I got mixed signals from that guy. I don't think it'll be a good idea to hang out with him." Chiho said and I tilted my head a bit.

"Why not? He's handsome, nice, and really willing to talk with me!" I exclaimed with a small blush.

Chiho still seemed worried. "Itsuka isn't a person I'd think of you being with, though, Tsu." She said and I grinned.

"There isn't much to worry about, Chi-Chi!" I exclaimed, excitedly.

A week later

I was sitting in my house because it was going to storm outside today. I got a text from Itsuki, who I was now in a relationship with, but I never told Chiho, since she was skeptical of him, so I didn't want her knowing.

Itsuki
Hey, you going to come over tonight? ;)

I texted him back saying I couldn't because I was going to go to an event with my parents, even though neither had a very stable income. But I never told him that, so he wouldn't know.

I kept under my bed and the storm started, which scared me. I yelped and curled up under my bed while keeping to a balled-up position.

I stayed where I was for hours to pass until the storm finally stopped around midnight. I slowly came out from under the bed before lightning struck again and I immediately hid under the bed again. I kept my hands over my ears and my eyes shut tight.

"Tsumi, are you still hiding under your bed this late?" I heard mom ask as she came into the bedroom and I took my hands off my ears and I looked to see Mom's feet before she knelt down on the floor and smiled. "Come on, sweetie. You can't stay hiding under there for forever. You'll have to come out and eat something, Tsumi." Mom said and I looked at her. I slowly came out and when lightning crashed again, I bolted into my mom's arms, scared.

Mom had her arms wrapped around me as she smiled. I held onto her tightly, trying to ignore the lighting outside, but it wouldn't go away.

Once the lightning was over, I fell asleep in my mom's arms and she was leaning against the bed, so for some reason, I got the feeling that she fell asleep too, though.

The next day, I was at school and I heard a group of kids conversating. "You think Itsuka would get in trouble with his girlfriend?"

"Probably, since he is cheating on her with another girl. I think her name was Tsumi?"

I felt frozen at what was said and Chiho noticed as she walked up to me.

"Tsu? You okay?" She asked and I didn't respond for a minute before I began walking passed Chiho.

"I'll be fine." I said as I walked and I know Chiho was worried, but I still can't bring myself to tell her. . . Just to keep myself from looking weak and pathetic in front of others, because then I wouldn't be able to live with burdening others with my problems. I went to the classroom where I sat in the far back corner by the window and I stared out the window into the courtyard the whole class period.

After school, I took the time of the week to stay home in my room. "Sweetheart," Mom called, opening my door after picking the lock open. "Itsuki came to see you." I felt my chest clench itself out of anger from Itsuka coming here. I never even asked him to come over or anything when I was dating him. Oh yeah, and I broke up with him at the end of the day before because he was using me to cheat on a girl.

"Tell him to leave." I said and I tightened my grip around my legs. Mom seemed concerned before leaving to hopefully do so. After a few minutes, I heard the door open again and I looked to see Itsuki.

"Babe, what's going on? You don't talk with me anymore, I need to know what's going on." He said and he was acting oblivious and I glared at him before standing up and shoving him.

"I said I didn't want you here! You used me to cheat on someone else, and I hate boys who do that!" I yelled at him and I was growing more frustrated the longer he stood in my room.

"Now, calm down. You're not thinking rationally."

"Oh, I'm definitely thinking rationally, and I don't want you here again!" I shoved him out of my bedroom and slammed my door shut and locked it before going over and grabbing a wood chair and I put it against the door handle. I went to the foot of my bed and tried to hold back my tears as much as I could. Once I heard his footsteps and barely the front door shutting, I broke out, crying.