Prologue

While the wind blows through your drapes, you shivered and waited annoyed for your friend to open the door. It's a cold night on October the 31st, also known as Halloween. You loved the holiday, but never really celebrated it a lot. This  year was different though, y/b/f decided to host a party at their house with just you and the rest of your friend group. It would be a small party, just how you liked it.

You knocked a second time, praying that they'd finally open after having waited in the cold for too long. That's when y/b/f opened the door. 'Y/n you're here!' they exclaimed. 'Yeah and I was here five minutes ago too,' you exaggerated as y/b/f let you in.

'I'm sorry about that, y/f just texted me that most of the class is gathered at Alex' house. You faced her with panicked eyes, 'Y/b/f don't you dare—' you said.

Y/b/f chuckles nervously, 'C'mon Y/n, it wasn't my idea but it'll be lots of fun!'. You shook your head 'Nope, I won't be going. Have fun without me' you said as you turned around to leave. 

Y/b/f grabbed your arm and pulled you in again, 'Y/n you can't leave now! They're waiting for us'. 'Okay, good, let them wait. I'm not doing this again' you said, feeling betrayed.

You didn't mind crowded places, but if you'd rather be at a big party wouldn't you have hosted one yourself? Obviously tonight was meant to just be for you and your friends, but y/f had to mess it up.

'It's okay if you go, but I'm not going. Sorry,' you said. Y/b/f narrowed her brows and let go of your arm, 'What's wrong with trying out new things?' 

'Nothing, absolutely nothing, but I didn't sign up for this and you know that' you said. 'You can't expect it to always be the five of us! Y/f had good intentions and we just wanted to have fun tonight. We can't always hold back for you and you know that,' they said pissed off.

'Fine, don't hold back. I already told you that you can go. Now please leave me alone,' you said as you walk out the door again. 

Sure, you were being petty but this is like — what? The fourth time they pulled an act like this. You didn't just want to go for their sake, you wanted to enjoy this night too. 

'Y/n, c'mon don't freaking be like this!' y/b/f called after you as you continue to walk their street, leaving their house. You hear them closing their door harshly which made you look back, expecting them to follow you but instead you see the street empty.

'Tsch,' you exclaim as you contine your walk home.

Whatever should you do this night? You could watch a horror movie, but knowing yourself for being sensitive to them you got rid of the idea quickly. Sure, you would've loved to watch one or even several with your friends, but on your own? That's a big no.

You cross your arms in an attempt to warm yourself more while you leave y/b/f's street. You'd decided to go as a maid, wore a cloke to top it off and had called it a day. It was a weird mix, but honestly it was a last minute kind of thing. You'd bought the maiden dress as a joke with one of your friends two years back and had never gotten rid of it. You probably should've gotten a real costume, but you thought it'd be funny to wear it again as you knew you wouldn't have another chance to wear it again. 

You'd been in a hurry, as you were trying to finish homework for the next day. Of course your english teacher had given your class a three page writing assignment. You had to create an own story, it could technically be about anything but it could not be cliche. Therefore the assignment was rather broad and you could go various ways. Of course because of this, you had to get stuck with zero ideas while writing it.

No story was original enough in your eyes, you were being too much of a perfectionist but you couldn't help yourself. You still weren't done, actually you were just on the first page. You couldn't bring yourself to write more, the idea sucked. Guess, you have to finish that first before doing anything else.

You sighed as you look around you, trying to remember which way your house was. You must have walked this path a thousand times by now, but in the dark most of your senses were being blocked. 

Y/b/f lived close to the woods and therefore didn't have many street lights. Her neighbourhood was pretty remote in comparison to where you lived (closer to the city).

You sighed as you turned left, towards the woods. One thing you did know was that the path by the woods was pretty much a path straight to your home. You weren't fond of it, while again, it was currently the darkest path. But you didn't want to spend all too long trying to find you way back, so the woods it was. 

You crossed the street and went into the alley that led to the path. It was abandoned, as you'd expected. You hesitated a bit before walking the path. 

To try to calm your exaggerating nerves, you put in your earphones and clicked your favorite playlist. You didn't want to open the torch app on your phone, as you believed you were just overreacting. Your eyes had adjusted to the dimmed light of the night sky, so you believed you were pretty much fine.

The first song of your playlist had just ended when you felt a raindrop on your head. That was the first touch of the start of an absolute hell. No more than two minutes passed when it felt like the heavens were pouring all the water on earth down at once. 

You could barely see straight and couldn't hear a single thing. You didn't hesitate once before running as fast as possible. It was about time to finally make up for all the missed P.E. lessons.

As soon as you were starting to pant heavily, you heard thunder in the distance. Great. 

It felt like it was taking forever to get home. The more you ran, the more it felt like you'd passed your house already. You stopped mid-run and tried to make sense of your surroundings. Where were you really? Maybe because of the rain, you couldn't have seen the alley you should've taken to get to your house. 

You sighed with high annoyance and looked at your phone. Your eyes widened when you saw that it was 22:45. Had you really been taking 30 minutes to get to your house? It normally took you 15 to 20 minutes—

You put your phone away and looked behind you at the path. Should you run back? Or should you just continue going straight forward? It must have taken so long because you'd been lost in her neighbourhood. You decided to just go straight forward, you know this path as the back of your hand. You would've noticed the alley.

You ran harder than before while the music from your earphones were almost deafening because of the harsh rain. Suddenly you heard thunder as if it was right above you. Because of the loud and sudden sound of it you tripped and fell of the path, onto the slope that was the border of the woods.

The music in your ears, the sound of the rain and the sudden fall made you disorientated from your surroundings and you were unable to stop yourself from falling. The fall felt like something from a fever dream and you deseperately cried out in help until your senses died out and your vision went all black.