c h a p t e r - t w o

⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆☽Ⓛ❈Ⓒ☾⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆

Lucca's POV.

Rocco brings over another drink and sets it down before me. I nod at him in thanks. Valerius and Marcello step out of the lift. They subtly nod at me, letting me know it's done.

Good. One less thing to worry about.

I take a sip and scan the room over the rim of the glass. This so-called party is just another way for Lewis Stanton to ass-lick all of us. He wants to keep us happy and on his side. I don't blame him, we're not the kind of people you want on your opposition.

I don't mind it the attempt at ass-licking, he knows not to try it with me, but I'm bored. The same women as usual are circling us like desperate sharks, they want nothing but my money and influence. They want someone who will buy them designer clothes or get them cast into that new movie that's being filmed. I don't hold it against them, they're trying to make their way in the world and I respect that, but I won't be their meal ticket.

They all want something from me. It's exhausting fighting them off and trying to find a real one. My parents are hounding me to find someone to settle down with, they want me married now. I'm twenty-five and apparently that's the right age for choosing a wife.

If only it was that easy.

I'm not like my associates; I don't enjoy sleeping with anything with a pulse. Don't get me wrong, I love sex and I've had my fun these last few years. It's so...empty though. Meaningless sex, it never really gets you anywhere. I'm still left feeling unsatisfied and empty afterwards.

I just want someone to come home to. Someone who will listen to my problems and support me. I want someone to have actual conversations with, God knows my men can't hold an intellectual discussion to save their lives. There's only so much a man can take of these idiots I call my caporegimes. I'm bored and although I'd never admit it out loud, I'm lonely.

My eyes are drawn to two women that have recently entered the party. They're younger than most people in here, but alarmingly, not the youngest. They must be legal to have entered, which means they're over eighteen, thank fuck for that.

My eyes land on the regal looking blonde, she's too much of a Daddy's princess for me. I know her, she's Lewis Stanton's daughter and that's a definite no. I might not like Lewis, but I'm not about to make an enemy out of him by fucking his daughter.

My eyes move on to the brunette beauty next to her. I recognise her immediately. We've met before, on two separate occasions.

The first time was over a year ago. I was visiting Lewis one evening, when his daughter and a couple of her friends came teetering down the stairs in skimpy dresses and high heels. The brunette, the same one that stands before me now, was wearing an 18th birthday sash.

The second time, I met Lewis at a restaurant for a meeting and his daughter showed up with the brunette, wanting the helicopter for some indulgent shopping spree. The brunette looked uncomfortable the whole time, like she was out of place in the whole situation. Lewis wasn't happy that his daughter had tracked him down and interrupted a meeting. I think he only gave permission for her to take the helicopter so that she'd leave.

That was a month ago. I was just as enamoured then as I am now.

She looks nervous and out of place. Her eyes scan the crowd, and she bites her bottom lip. She looks out of place again, something tells me this isn't her usual scene. She's wearing an expensive dress, it hugs every inch of her curvy figure and long model-like legs. Her chestnut hair is dead-straight and so long that it reaches her waist.