Chapter Three - Stay Another Hour or Two

19th of September, 2013

Unbeknownst to her, Matty had been just as excited about a second interview as she was. After the praise she had given both him and his music the first time, he had found himself a bit smitten. Waiting for the next time he was in London to hope that the station reached out again had been mildly nerve-wracking, but his patience had been worth it. It gave him the chance that he wanted. He had given her his number in the hopes that maybe she'd make a move. If she came to him first, that saved him a lot of trouble and allowed him to side-step any awkward tension if it turned out she wasn't into him. She hadn't managed to get out to Reading around her other work obligations, but she'd let him know that she tried. He had hoped this would be the start of more frequent communication. But, they hadn't really had much of a chance to act on anything in that regard. Because as soon as the full-length album was out, the station wanted Matty back on the show.

"It feels like it was only yesterday that I was here." Matty laughed from the seat across from her as she fiddled with a few things on her side of the desk.

"It's only been a month, I think?" She mumbled, clearly focused on something.

"About that, if I recall." He nodded.

"No George this time?" She asked absentmindedly.

"I'd rather have you all to myself." She hummed a noise in response that made it hard for him to work out if his flirting had landed or not. But he did think that maybe she was trying to avoid looking directly at him. And... maybe blushing? "Been up to much in the last month?" He segued.

"Not particularly." She said with a shrug. "You? Touring?" She asked back, but he skipped right over that.

"Haven't been painting the town red? Going on dates? Suddenly acquired a boyfriend?" He asked as nonchalantly as possible, suddenly busying himself with his phone.

She let out an abrupt laugh as she finally looked over at him, "No, Matty." He just nodded thoughtfully. "Come on, you dork. Let's do this." She said, looking fairly amused by his antics as she pulled her headset back on.

"And we're back, with a voice a few of you might find familiar as he was on the show only a month ago." She gestured to him to do a little introduction.

"Hi, it's Matthew Healy from The 1975." He spoke in a calculated voice into his mic.

"Back again so soon?"

"That's what I get for complaining it was too long last time." He said with a light laugh.

"But you've done a lot in a month! Your full length, self-titled album is out now, you played Reading and Leeds, and you're even playing at the O2 Sheperd's Bush Empire tomorrow." She listed off.

"Yeah! We never stop, really." He chuckled as he shook his head a bit. "The acceleration over the last six months has been crazy fast. But we've been a band for such a long time so it feels justified."

"Your enthusiasm and motivation is truly next level."

"Gotta keep the hype going, you know?"

"Has it left you guys feeling a bit worn out?" She questioned. "That sort of non-stop lifestyle would've burnt many people out by now."

"Ah, no way! We've had five years of doing nothing. This is fun." He grinned broadly. "I've got a break of about a week and a half over Christmas, but I've gotta move into a new flat. I've got loads of stuff to move. I had to buy luggage while on tour. I have so much fan stuff now – letters, drawings, puzzles of my face." She couldn't help but laugh at the thought of that and how surreal it must be.