Chapter 5

[ Ey what's good, I made it through the American election and I'm ready to sleep in V O I D.

I wanna get this out there, just as a WARNING that Jeff is a much more vulgar and crude individual in this version of KP, so his dialogue might be distasteful to some, but I appreciate that you bear with it. He won't be like that forever lol.

Enjoy the chapter guys!

Stay Creepy! ]

Chapter 5

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, what are you doing in here?"

As soon as the closet light came on, the shadow at the doorway was only Dad. I let out a heavy sigh as I pressed a hand to my chest, feeling all the tension escape me with my exhale. Then, I panicked again, and got up to drag him in.

"Ellie, what are you—?"

"I heard someone in the basement, we're not safe!" I blurted as I clutched onto his jacket.

With a stern look, he grabbed my hands and said, "Hold your horses there. Someone broke in?"

"I heard them! We can't stay here!"

Eyes gleaming with concern, he easily reached up on the wrap-around shelf and grabbed his gun. Squeezing my shoulder, he said, "Go ahead and wait here, I'll check the basement, okay?"

"No, Dad...!"

He promptly made his way to the hall and down the stairs. Despite my nerves and his order, I couldn't sit still while Dad possibly puts himself in harms way. Swiftly, I followed after him to the basement.

I could hear him walking around down there, checking the place, as I descended the creaky stairs. Coming around the corner, I saw Dad in the middle of the spacious room, his gun ready. When he noticed me, he gave me a look that said 'I told you to stay in the room', but then made a motion to have me be quiet. I didn't move a muscle as he scanned the basement and all of its forgotten things with a steeled glare.

Looking at him now, it was easy to forget he used to be a peace officer, but that was for a short time. He retired very early, way before I was born, since upon first working he sustained a knee injury that put him off that line of work entirely. Sometimes the affects of the injury still give him aches. On the bright side, that injury is how he met Mom, who was a nurse trainee at the time he was hospitalized for it. Mom always embarrasses him by telling the story about how he tried to flirt while barfing his guts out after a rather unpleasant hospital meal. Life is a funny thing sometimes.

Amidst the silence, I heard that squeak again. Nervous, I looked around the room, thinking some stranger was going to run up on my Dad. But then there was another squeak, and then another, and the both of us traced the sound up to the ceiling. There against the beams were a set of pipes, one of which was squeaking. And it just so happened to sound like sneakers sliding against flooring.

Dad shot me a smile and said, "That's probably acting up because of the weather coming in. The squeaking will be very annoying when the rain fully hits, but I'll have a look at it later."

With my paranoia set aside, I walked up beside Dad to check out the pipes above. I guess the fear had my mind just make things up. Ugh, I'm too skittish for my own good.

"How embarrassing, worrying you for nothing," I muttered, crossing my arms.

Dad rubbed my back and replied, "Hey, don't feel bad. I understand you're still alert from the incident. I'm relieved you told me, at least. Let's head back up, alright?"

With a firm pat to my shoulder, he made his way to the basement staircase. I started to follow him, when I took a moment to stop in my tracks and think. Although we found the source of the annoying squeaks, we didn't find what was making that other clanging noise I heard first.