Act 2 - Chapter 47: The Doctor Is Out

"Gently!" Joy's voice rang out as Sungjae dropped Peniel roughly onto the lone steel table in the room.

"We need to work quickly," Sungjae shot back, already moving towards the cupboards where Dohwan should have stored his supplies. He ripped the cupboard doors open, ignoring the disturbed dust that flew into his face.

Joy made sure that Peniel's vitals were at a decent level before she went to help Sungjae, who had already grabbed a cart and began to stack it with items that seemed useful.

"Headlamps?" she asked, noticing the random array of items.

"We don't have surgical lights here," Sungjae said as he looked for something to disinfect the surgical instruments. He glanced back at Peniel, who was now quiet. "And the sterilization machine is broken."

Joy's face paled slightly but she nodded. "Any good news you want to tell me?"

"We have a camp stove with maybe half a tank of fuel left in it," Sungjae said grimly. "We can use that for sterilizing our instruments.

"It seems that even though Dohwan didn't have a family to support him anymore, he still had some equipment. We have gloves, masks, some blood that I found in a freezer, and saline that we can hang from this pole," he tapped the pole beside him.

"How much blood?" Joy asked, fearing the worst, as she started to push the cart over to Peniel's side.

Sungjae scowled as he moved the pole over and inserted it into a notch in the table, "Only three packets of O-negative, I don't know his blood type."

Joy scanned the cart and the room, "And anaesthesia?"

Sungjae shook his head, "He's going to be feeling it."

"Get dressed," he told her as he took off his jacket and tossed it aside, watching Joy do the same to hers. He made sure that camp stove was secured tightly to the cylindrical fuel canister before he switched it on, causing a powerful blue ring of fire to spark into existence.

He placed several of the instruments on the grate, each of their tips directly in the ring of fire's flame to begin sterilizing them. Once they were red hot, they would extract the instrument and let it cool down before using it.

Joy turned around to ask Moonbyul for a favour, but to her surprise, the woman had disappeared without leaving a trace behind.

"Where's Moonbyul?" Joy asked Sungjae, who shook his head impatiently.

"We don't have time to waste on her," he said as he anxiously watched the instruments in the flame, willing them to heat up faster.

Joy nodded hesitantly before she heard a familiar clattering of wheels come for the distance.

"Sungjae..." she breathed as she saw a pair of paramedics wearing the easily recognizable orange jumpsuit run towards them, pushing a stretcher between them.

Sungjae spared a glance in their direction before he rose up slowly in disbelief.

"Hello, I'm Im Hyunsik, I'm here- I know you two!" Hyunsik said as he looked at the unlikely pair in front of him.

"Hyunsik? What are you doing here?" Joy asked in disbelief before she turned to Sungjae. "Am I seeing things?"

Sungjae shook his head slowly, "I'm seeing him too," he answered before he stooped down to turn off the gas. "Who called you here?"

"I did."

From behind the paramedics, Moonbyul re-entered the room. "I called them before I came down here myself," she explained. "I left one of my men out there to notify me when they arrived."