New town, new school, new problems

New town, new school, new problems  Max thought to himself as he walked down the halls of Campbell High looking for his locker. He had just moved in with his adoptive parents and therefore had to change schools, he didn't care that much it's not like he had any friends at his old school but at least he knew his way around that one, Campbell High was like a maze to anyone unfamiliar with its layout.

As he wandered around, eyes focused on the school map provided trying to figure out where he needed to go, he bumped into someone, a short girl with bright hair who seemed unfazed by what had just happened. "Ack, sorry I really need to get better at dodging people at high speeds, you'd think I'd be good seeing as I do this a lot but this actually happens pretty often" she said brushing herself off and offering a hand to help Max up "hey, I don't think I've seen you around before which is weird ya know? Cos I know pretty much everyone in this place but not you so you must be new unless I somehow missed you- "she rambled.

Max decided to interrupt before she could get any further, just wanting to get to class "No you're right, I'm new" he went to walk off before deciding a few more seconds of interaction was better than wandering aimlessly forever "Any idea where locker 462 is?". She turned to look at him so fast Max feared for her neck, "Yeah! That's right next to my locker, coincidence much? C'mon I'll take you there newbie" she said with a bright smile, Max wondered how someone could have so much energy so early in the morning and followed behind her to the lockers.

As they arrived Max unlocked his locker with the combination he'd been given and started unloading his thing into it as the energetic girl started talking to someone in the locker on the other side of her, he wasn't paying attention but caught the end of their conversation, "...and then I bumped into someone again but I didn't recognize him turns out he's new and needed help finding his way around so it's a good job I did huh? Actually, she turned her attention to Max "hey, I never actually introduced myself which is so rude I'm so sorry, my names Nikki and this is Neil". Max eyed the boy up and down, he was practically the complete opposite of Nikki looking shy and anxious offering a small wave in Max's direction, "Max, pleasure" he said coldly before heading off to find his class.

Unfortunately, Nikki couldn't take a hint and followed along, Neil shortly behind, "what class do you have? You're lucky to be friends with me so I can show you around huh? I get it the schools massive; it took me weeks to figure it out but once you get used to it it's practically nothing" "Friends? We just met, I don't think id consider us friends" He replied, noticing her smile drop slightly before coming back full force, "well I do! But that's fine we can get to know each other a little more first if you'd like" Max realized he wasn't getting rid of her, she was too determined, maybe this was a good thing though at least he wouldn't look like a loner 24/7 even if he actually was, and all he had to do was tolerate a nerd and hyperactive ball of energy, "sure, I have English now" "Same! Let's go, see ya Neil" she hugged him as he walked away to whatever class he had, and Max followed Nikki to English.

Max would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy the short girl's company, it made a nice change to being alone all the time so maybe he could deal with calling her his friend as chaotic as she was. They met up with Neil later on and by the time lunch came around Max accepted that maybe having friends wasn't so bad.

Authors note: As I said, this is my first story so any tips on how to improve would be greatly appreciated. I hope you enjoy the story, more chapters coming soon.