Chapter 001

The brightness of the morning sun shines down upon the small camp, as we are all scrambling about to finish our daily chores. Beads of sweat roll down my forehead due to the hot summer weather, as I continue to chop up firewood with an ax. Bringing the rather large ax over my head, I quickly slam it down into the log in front of me - cutting it in half. Pushing the cut logs off of the tree stump, I replace it with another one that needs to be cut. Most of the time I keep myself busy with cutting logs and shaping sticks into arrows, as I leave the other ladies work for the other females in the group. All of my life I had done a man's job, whether it was fixing cars, hunting, or fixing up houses for that is what I had been taught.

It had been a lot harder for me to learn the ropes of all of the things my father had taught me, for I live in a world of silence unlike everyone else. All of the other people had the luxury to hear the beautiful melodies of the birds, a baby's cry, or even the annoyance of evening traffic. Whereas I was stuck in a world of silence, unable to hear all of the chaos that surrounds me. Feeling a light tug on my belt loop, I quickly avert my attention to the leash that is attached to it. Spotting the black and white Husky that I've learned to love since I was eighteen, I watch as she looks off in the distance and wags her tail happily. Millie only acts like that when one of my two childhood best friends, Daryl and Merle Dixon whistle to gain her attention.

Following her icy blue gaze, I am instantly greeted with a cheeky grin coming from Daryl Dixon. His tanned skin glistens with sweat, as he had been busy gathering firewood for our own makeshift fire. Unlike my hazel eyes, his were a beautiful shade of blue that reminds me of the clouds before a storm. He even has sandy brown hair that only seems to get darker the more he is out in the sun, which doesn't bother me any - for it just makes him more attractive. Daryl motions for me to walk over to our tents, which only causes me to nod in understanding. Turning to look for anyone to take my job, I instantly spot someone by the name of Jim, who happened to join the camp a few weeks after the Dixon brothers and I did.

Instead of attempting to make noise to gain his attention, I tug on Millie's leash as I begin to walk over to him. He is currently busy trying to help an elderly man by the name of Dale with his jacked-up RV. Once I reach the older man, I tap his shoulders, which causes him to look over at me with a raised brow. "Yes, Katherine?" He questions slowly, as makes sure that I can read his lips. Thankfully my momma had taught me to read lips when I had been younger, as well as to communicate with sign language. I moved down to the ax in my hand and toward the unfinished task that I had been doing, hoping that he would understand.

"She's asking you to finish up her work, Jim." Dale suddenly cuts in after a moment, as he had walked up behind Jim which had caught my attention. He must've seen the confusion that was written all over Jim's face. "Oh," Jim says once he realized what I had been trying to say. He quickly nods as he takes the ax from my hands. "Yeah, I'll finish it up for you." Before I can even thank the man, he is already walking to the firewood to chop it up. Which causes me to look at Dale with a small smile.

"Thank you, Dale." I sign appreciatively, which only causes the much older man to wink at me. He reminds me a lot of what a father should be from all of the books I've read. Tugging on my leash once more as I start walking toward the tent I share with the Dixon brothers, I watch as Millie happily follows after me. Ever since the summer months have rolled around, I keep the service animal vest off of her so she doesn't overheat - but that doesn't seem to bother her, as she still continues to do her job. Upon reaching the tent, I untie Millie's leash from my belt loop to allow her to do other things besides guide me. Walking to the fire pit that isn't too far from the tent, I quickly sit down between the two brothers.

"Nice of you to join us, Kat." Merle jokes after he had gained my attention to look over at him. Rolling my eyes at the much older man, I grab the cigarette that was rested between his lips. Placing it between my own lips, I take a small drag from it before I pass it over to Daryl. Exhaling the nicotine that once filled my lungs, I prop my aching legs onto Merle Dixon's lap. "What did you all want me over here for?" I question, as I glance between the two brothers. The two brothers exchange glances before they both look back at me with raised brows.