Chapter 3

Me: Let's hear them.

Rodrick: well first of all you have to be casual ab it. Don't do anything to give it away

Me: I can be casual. I've taken acting for years.

He sends back the thumbs up emoji.

Rodrick: also make it believable. say you're going to a friend's house.

Me: I technically might be. To pick one up on the way.

Rodrick: that's another one. include an element of truth if you can

Me: Those are really good tips lol

Rodrick: haha thanks. Lmk how it goes

Me: Oh for sure

Back in Ariana's car, Kiane pleads, "Seriously, Y/N, we've been listening to thrash metal this whole ride. Can you put at least one Mari song on?"

I'm glad he decided to come on this little adventure with me and Ari, so I relent. "Okay." I play the pinball machine song.

Kiane chortles, "It's the pinball song."

"We stay keeping with the chaotic energy," I say.

"Oh my God, there's the Prudential center," he says. Sure enough, I see its outline, even though it's dark out. My heart thuds against my chest.

"Ari, you think you could see if you can find his van and park near it?" I scroll through my phone to see if I can find a picture of it.

"Uhhh, girl, I can't see the colors of cars, and this parking lot's packed. There are actual people with tickets who came too. I'm lucky if I can even find a spot."

"Oh, shit." What if she can't find a spot? Will we loiter in this parking lot forever? Luckily we find one at the very edge.

She parks, and then I start to get nervous. She turns to me with a smile. "Okay, Annika, let's go find your man." We scream excitedly.

The parking lot is huge, and there's tons of people here, and it's dark, and his isn't the only van, so doing so is harder than I thought.

Eventually, Ari says, "Unless we wanna circle this lot all night, you gotta text him."

Annika: hey I'm here with my friends where did u park?

Rodrick: what? You're here? 3A.

3A is hard to find though. I groan frustratedly, "Where the fuck is 3A?"

A Latino guy in a Thrashing Metals t-shirt overhears and walks up to us and says, "Hey, you guys looking for 3A? I'm headed there right now."

"Thank God, can we come with you?" Ariana asks.

"Sure," he says. He looks about our age. "I'm Damon, by the way."

"I'm Ariana," Ari says.

"Kiane."

"I'm Y/N," I say. He stops short at that name.

"Y/N?" he asks. "That's a pretty name."

"Thanks," I say.

"So Damon, are you here alone?" Ari asks.

"No, no, I'm here with some friends. I just had to go somewhere quiet to check in with my parents. They think I'm at my homie's place."

"I feel that," I say. Huh. What a suspiciously similar lie that Rodrick told me to use. I guess this is common amongst rebellious teens. "I really hope my mom doesn't call."

"Right?" Damon replies. "So are y'all headed back to your car?"

"No," Kiane says. "We're meeting up with one of Y/N's friends."

"Oh, dope." Damon says. "Well, I don't wanna delay you or anything, but is it cool if I introduce you to my boys real quick?"

"Ummm, sure," I say. I am eager to find Rodrick's van, but this shouldn't take too long, and he knows I'm somewhere here anyway. It wouldn't hurt to take a few minutes to meet Damon's friends. It would only add to the adventure of the night.

He stops at a van that looks just like the one I have a picture of on my phone. The back is open, and his two friends are lounging on the carpeted floor. There are no seats.

"Hey boys," he said. "Met some new people on the walk back."

"Of course you did, Damon," the first guy says, swinging out. "This is why you're-" he stops short. I recognize the red, dyed haircut, and septum piercing, and it's clear he recognizes me too.

Gunner breaks into a smile. "Alright, alright!" He turns around and says, "Dude, you're gonna wanna see this."

I already know what's coming and yet I'm both nervous and excited.

The third person hops out of the van. "Guys, why are you making such a big-"

His eyes catch mine.  "Hey," he says.

"Hi," I say back.

"So...how'd sneaking out go?" Rodrick asks.

"Wait," Kiane says.

"You're one of Rodrick's friends?" Ariana looks at Damon appraisingly.

"We have been since middle school," says Damon.

"Wait, so did you know who I was the whole time?" I ask. "And not say anything?"

Damon shrugged. "I figured it'd be a fun surprise."