Chapter two

"Alright, Maddy. What sounds good to you?" Nick asked as he picked up Maddy with a slight grunt.

"I don't know!" Maddy shrugged then hugged around Nick's neck.

"Alright, then I'll get you what I get." Nick smile while he ordered two number ones. The man who were running the cash register didn't seem to amuse with everything. His thick brown hair stuck to his cheeks with sweat and grease. His hazel eyes showed a bit of announce while Nick ordered. The man simply nodded and rung up their order and walked into the back of the kitchen.

"He didn't seem to happy, now did he?" Nick laughed as he set Maddy down to go find a seat for them both.

"No!" Maddy shook her head and looked up at Nick. Nick went over to a slightly dirty table that had food crumbs over the table. He simply wiped them off and patted the seat next to him, as if saying to Maddy to sit next to him. Maddy crawled on the seat as her aqua blue eyes scanned the black water stain building as if it was a museum of art. He face with awed as she pondered how different it looked and felt to be around so many people in such a small area. Nick just simply tapped the table with his fingers waiting for their order to be ready. He then looked over at Maddy.

"So, now that you're taking. What's your true name kid?" He asked with a sign. Maddy's face went form awed to a depressed tent in her eyes. She gave off a shrug and fiddled with her fingers for a moment as she hoped Nick would ask a question that wouldn't involve the previous night, but all the questions that raced though nicks skull was about what he had witness along with the black hairs girl.

"Uh, listen Maddy, we need to talk about something important. You see, I have to send you ba-" before Nick could finish his statement, two officers walk through the doors of the little shop; looking for evidence.

"Has anyone seen a young girl, about five? She has black hair and blue eyes?" One fairly large man questioned everyone in the little cafe. "We are detectives working on a crime scene." He announced. Nick ducked down slightly and quickly pulled the hoodie over Maddy's head. He knew just then, that he was in trouble if they had found out he had taken the girl. And the fact that she was sitting right next to him didn't help his case either.

"We believe someone had kidnapped her. And if so, we are willing to take her back and put her in the arms of a caring family." There was a short pause. "Now as for the kidnapper, he will be charged and sent to jail. So! With that being said, does anyone have an idea where this young girl may be?" The large man continued to speak. But before anything else could attend, his partner that was skinny and bald, nudged the large detective and motioned over to Nick and Maddy. As if suggesting Nick might have something to do with the case. They made their was over to the two and pulled a chair to sit next to them.

"Uh, how can I help you two officers?" Nick stumbled on his words while Maddy kept on playing with her fingers.

"Yeah, actually you can. Have you heard or seen of the-" before the bald officer could continue Nick interrupted.

"Yeah, I've heard about it. Just now. When you announced it to the whole world just a few seconds ago. And no, I don't know anything about the little girl." Nick leaned forward in his chair as he was getting defensive.

"Oh really? Then who is this?" The officer pointed to Maddy, but before Nick could reply the cashier from the counter called out Nick and Maddy's order.

"My daughter." Nick snapped as he swiftly stood and grasp Maddy's little arm that was hidden under the overly large black jacket. He then dragged the poor girl over to where their food was laying on the dirty cold counter. "I would love to talk more officers but we have to go." Nick winked that them both, taking their food that was in a paper bag, and walked out of the store with Maddy on his side.

"It could be him, Smith. What do you think?" The bald headed man admitted.

"We can't jump to conclusions, Patric. if it is we have to have evidence. We can't just bust him in right away. Besides, that girl looked close to what he looked like. Maybe she really is his daughter." the other officer, Smith, replied.

"Seriously. She matched the description. I don't care what you say; something in my gut is telling me it's him." Patric disagreed.

"Like I said, slowly bust him only if he shows evidence, Patric." Smith sighed and looked back over at the door. "For now, we keep looking."

"Fine. But I'm gonna keep checking up on that boy. I ain't letting him go so easily. Not when my gut is strong on him." Patric shook his head and headed out of the small store.