where fire meets the ocean mist - hbd mermista

tw !
blood | injury | angst | fire | weapons

" mermista, we can't fight them any longer. "

" you have to understand, i'm giving up! "

" it's over, mermista. "

" MERMISTA! "

shadows pushed her body up, trembling and lungs gasping for air. she groaned softly, running her calmy palms against her streaked face. her tongue brushed against the inside of her dry mouth, causing her face to scrunch up. " ew. " she commented, regarding herself, as she placed her feet on the floor of my bedroom. her feet shuffled along the castle halls, trying to wait for her vision to begin to unblur. she ran her fingers against the hallway walls, feeling the rough sand-like texture beneath her drying finger pads. the runes scratched in were crumbling over time but their power was locked in forever.

she stopped by the castle grounds, feeling the cool slippery rocks beneath her tanned feet, her eyes gazing off into the seemingly far-away protective shield of salienas, watching the magic stored in glitter like the night sky. mermista looked at in it in awe, remembering her father's face as he used all of his strength to pull up this shield. she was twelve, a child when she saw him drain himself of all strength for the first time. the horde had invaded, their soldiers plentiful, weapons were drawn directly, children and adults scream filling the once peaceful water bank. no twelve years old should've seen that. no one, period, should've seen that.

young mermista wanted to go out and fight, she remembered as she sat down on a rock, but she couldn't. she was a child, she didn't know the true atrocities of battle. only the romanticised myths of them. one specific incident slammed at her brain, the time she decided to see it for herself. rather than tossing and turning in her bed, the child ran out, slipping past the guards, hiding behind several pink rocks. she had just reached the brim of the coastline when she saw him. hordak was tall and withered, but his eyes shone with monstrous creatures. his cloak was stained with the blood of innocent etherians. mermista only hoped that he would be haunted by the images of those dead bodies like she was. that was it. without a second thought, mermista ran into the open field, her fists balling up, her face scrunched up and her heart thudding loudly in her ears.

next thing she knew, she awoke in her bedroom. a strange throbbing sensation consumed her entire body, and the sounds of faint footsteps clattering filled the silence. a light-set broad man ran in, going straight beside her and cupping her cheeks. " mermista, are you alright? " asked her father, checking her body frantically for any signs of injury. there were none, thankfully. so, he breathed a heavy sigh and squeezed his young daughter in for a hug. " what were you thinking? " he hissed, grabbing her shoulders. " you could've gotten seriously hurt! " " dad, i was just trying to help! " mermista screamed, feeling pain in her heart rather than her body. to compensate, she tried to scratch at her arm and looked aside, water pricking at her eyeballs. " i- i was just trying to hel- " she tried to choke out but was hastily stopped by mercia, " i know, but you have to understand that your safety comes first, not what you're useful for. you're my daughter, not my soldier. "

" 'your my daughter, not my soldier.' " mermista repeated to herself, 'what a lie.' her hand reached down to a pebble which she promptly threw into the evening ocean, watching it create little tremors. when she was younger, she used to flick pebbles into the ocean with her father, just watch those circular waves blissfully appear and fade. those circular tremors now smelt like smoke and the sound of weapons shooting. the day started well, the sun was bright, the sea glittering with life and nothing bad in the air. perfect for the horde to strike. seahawk and her were having fun together, behind the castle, just talking as two 'friends'. the horde would soon come and interrupt this with not just weapons this time, but seahawks best friend, fire.

fire was an unfamiliar object to mermista, her being an ocean-based princess and all. in-fact, she had never seen fire a day in her life, that was until an orange hue covered the once bright blue sky, filling the air with the smell of burnt wood, causing her to hack violently. the escape alarm was spread, seahawk fled but mermista refused to go. she was now fifteen and had honed her abilities, her fear had turned into determination. well, most of it had, at least. seahawk called out, trying to grab her wrist so the two of them could flee, " mermista, no! " 'mermista, no' was all that she had heard in her life until now, " do you think i'm going to watch this lame ass horde guy win? no way. " jerking away from her hand from seahawk, she ran to the very top of her castle where the pearl resided. flames circled her, tickling at her shoulder blades, brushing her ankles and yanking at her blue hair. her eyes scanned the area, sweat dripping down from her forehead, she glanced at her hands and balled them into a fist. she shoved forward, inching closer towards the pearl to draw its magic out as the fire zero-in on her. hands shaking, she placed them right up to the runestone. like a lightning spark, she felt power being drawn into her body. it was heavy on her shoulders but she sharply inhaled, propped herself up and managed to extinguish most of the flames, but half of the castle was down in flames and the city below was nothing but grey smoke. " give up, mermista! " mercia called out, grabbing her wrist and pulling her out of the castle. " you have to go, now! " he didn't say anything, just shoved her aside, doing everything to protect the castle as it was his one source of power left. the last she saw of him from that night was his strong muscles holding up the entire ocean on his hands, trying to protect the pearl.

just like that. he was gone.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀