My one and only...chapter

Halloween was just around the curb and my HR had this boisterous idea of celebrating the day. Why are HRs naturally behind all the weird competitions? The weirdest of all was the Rangoli competition from last year. All the lawyers in the firm were busy solving the mystery that was the winning piece instead of solving the cases. I still shudder thinking about it. Halloween party was not that bad if I didn't have to work my ass off in the day, go home, get dressed like Frankenstein probably, and take my scuffed ass back to the old grey building. On top of that, the Head suggested that five lucky people including me, as we were the jolly LLBs of the firm, work on decorations to show our festival spirit.

Talking about spirits, the other four lunatics have turned into them. In other words, they ghosted me. I only knew when they didn't show up even after half-hour of our decided time. Since all the things were at my house, I decided to do my part of the work. Grumbling and cursing them, I managed to do some of the work when the glue stick decided to not stick by my side. The empty tube had me let out a groan. As the sole occupant of my flat, I cannot bribe a roommate to bring me a glue stick from the stationary.

Sighing, I locked the door after leaving the flat. Only three days were left and the luck was not on my side. An exemplary example was how I collided with someone as I turned around the corner to take the stairs. My breath hitched as soon as I looked up at the person.

"Mihir," the person who tilted my world on its axis whispered, surprised. The person who has been my crush since he came to live in the flat right next to mine.

"Samarth," I breathed.

"Where are you going in such a hurry?"

"Oh, I had to buy some stuff."

"You have a neighbour and you are buying stuff? That is breaking the neighbour code of our country."

I chuckled at his joke. "I needed glue sticks."

"At 10 at night?"

"The firm I work at is having a Halloween party and a few people were tasked with making the props and decoration."

"Ah, so you have guests over. You go and join them while I get your glue sticks from my house."

"No, I don't..."

"I am not taking no for an answer."

"But..."

"No buts either."

Before I could say anything else, he hurried ahead of me, unlocked his door, and got inside.

Samarth was a tall man of 6'2" as compared to my 5'9". Our skin tones weren't very different, his tone was wheatish whilst mine was light wheatish. We both had black hair, the same colour as my eyes. He...

Two raps on my door had me lose my train of thoughts. As soon as I opened the door, Samarth handed me the glue stick and refused to come in, saying he didn't want to intrude as I had guests over.

"That's what I was saying back in the hallway, I do not have anyone over. It's just me." The last phrase came out breathy and husky without trying. Every time it was just the two of us, I have trouble breathing and my voice goes down a notch or two because of the tension in the air...and my pants.

"Sure!"

Samarth followed me to the living room where papers, glitter, and such were lying in a disarray. I laughed sheepishly at the mess, but he simply smiled and waved a dismissive hand.

"My colleagues bailed."

"Looks like it. Also looks like you need help with all this."

"I do."