Chapter 4: A Burned Fir Tree

"Sweet is the memory of past troubles." - Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Okay, okay, Megane, I'm sorry. You neither sound like an old-timer or a terrorist. Just let go of my belly fat, okay? That hurts like a motherfucker." Svart says with his hands up.

Megane releases Svart from the pinch hold. "Hmph, you're so annoying. Just because I am against wiping doesn't mean I'm a terrorist that'll go blow up research facilities and kill people just to get some attention."

Svart rebutts, "But the attention works though. The government makes concessions. That's why our health care only covers wiping for close relatives, and some wiping is even illegal."

Svart says as he leans forward, holding his side. "Dammit, woman. What was with that gorilla grip?"

Megane raises her eyebrows. "I don't think that's what gorilla grip means but wait, what? Are you defending those terrorists?"

Svart laughs and relaxes into the chair. He brings out a stress ball and plays with it. "You know me. I don't feel too strongly either way, and people should be allowed to find their freedom as they deem fit."

"Even at the expense of other people?"

Svart smiles and pokes her nose. "You're such an idealist. That's why I love you. Anyway, at Vered's house during the funeral, you made a pretty interesting claim, didn't you? Are you suggesting that maybe her brother was murdered?"

"I wasn't making any claims. All I'm saying is that there isn't enough evidence to say if it was suicide or not. Maybe, deep down, I just don't want to accept that he was suffering, and we couldn't help him. The last year must have been really tough for him."

"It must have been a pretty traumatic experience. I can tell how much you loved him." Svart smiles at her.

"Yeah, we did. It looks like Vered is done. Hey Vee, how did everything go?"

Vered stands in front of them, hands in her pockets. "It was okay, I guess. Just some blood tests and the likes. I'm going to have my procedure in ten days. I also have to get a psych eval to make sure I don't become a serial killer without his memories."

Megane sighs, "You and your jokes. But ten days does seem long. I thought the risks are higher, the longer you wait?"

"The doctor advised me to take some time to celebrate Tatchil's life. Apparently, people do that when they lose a close family member."

"I've never heard of that, but it does sound plausible," Svart replies.

Vered pulls up her hoodie, "Celebrating a 32-year old's death sounds quite morbid, but yeah, it doesn't hurt to remember him for a few more days. Actually, no. I take that back. It hurts like a motherfucker but whatever."

Megane holds her hand. "We are always here for you, Vee. We can even go through his stuff together. I go through my mum's stuff from time to time. Seeing her pilot gear and knowing she gave her life to save a city always inspires me to be strong for those around me."

"Yeah, she does sound amazing. I wish I met her." Vered says as she tilts her head and smiles at Megane.

They get up and head for the parking lot. Megane gets a call.

"Oh, it's my dad. He probably wants me to get Hana from school. I'd take the bus since I'm headed in a different direction. I'll see you guys later." She waves and leaves them in the parking lot.

Svart unlocks his car and opens the passenger's door for Vered. "I know it's not my place, but are we ever going to tell her?"

Vered sighs. She gets in the car and fastens her seat belt. "You should know I've tried. I stopped a long time ago after my brother gave me some advice in the form of those cheesy quotes of his."

Svart walks to the driver's seat, "Oh yeah? What did he say?" he sits and waits for Vered's response.

"Sweet is the memory of past troubles."