Chapter 8 - Jade

I put the cards back together, wrapping the elastic band around the deck, letting it snap with an almost-finality to it. I laid it on the coffee table, leaning against the couch next to Connor. There was about a foot of distance between us, and I was not about to bridge that gap.

Why? Well, I wasn't sure why I would have to. I wasn't sure if I would ever have a reason. I was also unprepared, and my mind was still reeling from what had happened before.

I could still see Connor's eyes, so close to mine I was basically drowning in them. I could see the small flecks of gold amidst the clear, chocolate brown, and I could see the long lashes framing his eyes. I could feel the warmth from his proximity, his breath simultaneously warming my face. And his lips. For the first time in my life, I was acutely aware of a boy's lips. Never had I ever been so close to a boy.

Part of me had wished he had bridged the last of that distance, so small but so significant, but another part of me trembled in fear at the prospect. Kissing a boy. And not only a boy, but a cute one at that. All I had wanted first was friendship, and already, thoughts of something other than that were crossing my mind. Was that the same way for him, as well? Did he want more, or was that purely coincidental? Could I have imagined the look in his eyes then?

Then Stella had knocked on the door. A pity that might have been. Part of me was disappointed, but I was more relieved. I wasn't sure how I would have handled the situation if Connor had kissed me then, but I was also fairly certain no boy would ever want to kiss me. I was probably imagining things. Thinking of that explanation caused a strange pain to start in my heart, like a dull ache, so I refused to dwell on it.

Connor was fiddling with his cell phone, turning it around and around in his palms without saying a word. I looked at him, and he seemed to be lost in thought. Was he thinking the same thing as me?

"Connor?" I asked, a little reluctantly. He glanced up at me, slipping his cell phone in his pocket as he did so.

"Yeah?"

"Um...What do you want to do now?"

He shrugged, folding his legs beneath him, drumming his fingers on the floor in front of him. "I don't know...What do you want to do?"

Awkwardly, I said the first thing that came to mind. "Did you need any help with schoolwork?" I clamped my lips shut. Well, okay, that was stupid. The boy sitting next to me had an average in the 90's. I suddenly felt the urge to try bungee-jumping off of a cliff, sans the cords.

Connor just chuckled, scooting a little closer to me. "No, but thank you." Just then, his cell phone rang. "Sorry, excuse me." He accepted the call, putting the phone to his ear. "Hey, Li! What's up?" The name sounded vaguely familiar, and I thought of the little Asian girl that I had seen with him. "Now? Well, I know it's been a while, but I'm with...I see. Well, okay, I'm on my way." Connor clicked his phone shut and gave me a solemn look. "Sorry, I have to get going. Li really needs me, and I promised I'd always be there for her. She's like a sister to me."

I nodded, just a little ruffled by this, though I couldn't fathom why. Connor had friends. His best friend needed him, so who was I to hold him back? "Go ahead. Better not keep her waiting."

Connor smiled faintly. "Thanks, Jade. You rock." Leaning forward, he ruffled my hair and left, closing the door behind him with a soft click. I sat in the silence for a while before putting my head in my hands. It was the right thing. So why did I feel such a feeling of dread?

......

Connor wasn't at school. I felt a bit lonely, which was weird, since he didn't sit next to me anyways. Nothing changed since people were insulting me and talking about me behind my back as usual. I still heard it, but for some reason, it started to bother me.

At lunch, I curled up underneath a tree outside, ignoring the feeling of the hard, frozen ground beneath me. I had other things in mind. Letting my thoughts play along, I listened to the music blasting in my ears, but it was only like a distant soundtrack, muffled almost like I was underwater.

At that moment, someone stood in front of me. I looked up, letting my gaze travel up sculpted legs in tight-fitting leggings, then the hem of a navy blue sweater to look at Cassandra. Her aquamarine eyes were piercing.

"Look, Jade, who do you think you are?" I removed one earbud, my lips turning down in a frown.

"I have not done or said anything without provocation. If it would please you, I would appreciate it if you left me be."

Cassandra snorted. "Provocation? Who uses words like that?"

I glanced heavenward, praying to God or a merciful deity to save me from this. "Me. So please leave."

"Nuh-uh. Listen to me, we've had it up to here with your attitude."

I stood up. "We? Who would 'we' be? As far as I can tell, you all are the ones who disturbed my peace. I have been perfectly fine on my own, yet you all talk about me behind my back and insult me."

Cassandra folded her arms across her chest, unamused. "Don't you think we've tried? We've tried to include you, but all you do is ignore us and say rude things about us. You act like you're better than all of us just because you're so smart. You think you're superior to us, don't you?" she demanded. "Huh? Do you?"

I sighed, closing my eyes. "No, I do not, but I do not see how I insulted you. First, I merely expressed my inclination to be devoid of--"

Cassandra interrupted me, shoving me backwards. I almost lost my balance but stomped a foot behind me to keep myself standing upright. "Yeah, right. I disagree. Your Facebook posts are proof."

I blinked. What? "What's Facebook?"

"Don't play stupid with me! You know what Facebook is! Obviously, since you post such ridiculous rumours about everybody online."

I frowned. "...Huh?"

Cassandra narrowed her eyes at me. "I see. Playing innocent, are we? Bring 'em in," she said grimly, stepping back from me.

"Bring what in? What's going on?" But before the words can fully escape my mouth, a bright light blinds me as searing pain shoots through my skull from the back, and the world goes black.

********
Hey, guys! Thanks to y'all who actually read up to here. Like the story so far? I should hope so. Anyways, it was a short chapter, but I'm hoping to speed up the action. Hope you liked it so far, and I hope you will keep reading to see what happens! Any suggestions or feedback or just comments on what you like would be greatly appreciated. Take care~