(3) The Talk

"Your name's Licio, right?"
Licio gulped. He felt nervous around this stranger. For all he knew, this would be just another person who'd mock him for who he is. He choked out a reply. "Y-yes. That's me."

"You seem nervous. Don't worry, we won't harm you. Not all of the legends about him are true," she stated while pointing at the man behind her. "I just want to talk." The statement made Licio feel somewhat calm, though he was still quite nervous. "Allow me to introduce myself and my master. I am Janet. My master is known as Black Hood. Don't ask why, or we'd be here all day," she joked, attempting to calm the boy. "He's the leader of… a large group of warriors who serve the light. Now, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

Licio spoke with them, explaining simple things like his role here in the temple. It was going smoothly until Janet asked one question in particular. "Your grandfather snapped at you seemingly for no reason, and your face is covered in scars. Why is that? Are these people treating you well?"

Licio gulped. He wasn't sure how to answer. Janet spoke, "This doesn't leave this room, if it's that ba-" "N-no." "No? No what?" "No, they don't treat me well."

Licio explained everything to the man. The abuse from his father, the constant bullying he'd get from others, being forced to work or face beatings, everything. All because he was different than them. "Now I-I just want to leave. Go anywhere e-else. I'd rather b-be anywhere but here," Licio explained, trying not to completely break down.

Black Hood was shocked. They treated a child like this? Where's their common sense? He and Janet looked at each other, and he nodded.

"Y'know what? Why don't I take you with me? It would certainly be-" Janet was cut off. "Yes," Licio responded, not even hesitating. He was desperate for a chance to escape from this torture, and now he finally had that chance.

"Well alright then, go home and pack your bags. We'll be leaving soon."

~~~
Word Count: 355