Twenty-Seven

I knew they were at their wits end with the drama. But murder? I hadn't expected Makayla to go through with something like that.

Now that I knew more, I figured she was looking for the perfect spot to plan out how this was going to go, that night. She would shoot him, then all of her problems would disappear. Only they wouldn't.

Because no one could erase guilt with anger and violence. That only produced more guilt and hate until there was no way out. She had a right to her anger. But murdering Jace wouldn't solve anything. It wouldn't change the fact that Delilah was dead. It wouldn't change the fact that her and her friends had been used as an accomplice to her murder. None of it would change.

"I hope we're just over exaggerating and you're not right about this," Camille leaned over to me, whispering. 

She and I were sat in the back of Andrew's car with Silvia to her left. Jeremy had left his car in front of Andrew and Camille's dad's house, so they could tag along with us. The ride was tight. Filled with tension.

"I hope so too," I whispered back. But I knew I wasn't wrong. Something told me I wasn't.

Andrew made a reckless turn into one of the open parking spaces. Thankfully, there were no other cars here but two. I remembered this area from when I'd joined Skylar at the bonfire, my first night in Baskerville. This was where we parked. That meant the creek and their dad's cabin was only a walk away.

"Andrew! That's Makayla's car!" Camille screamed. Her voice called our attention to the car that closest to us. My body froze. 

I couldn't feel a thing. Not my nerves, not my limbs. Nothing. The car that had stalked me all the way to the lighthouse slipped my mind. But here it was. A white sedan was staring back at me. I wanted to roll over and die in this instant. No. It couldn't have been Makyla. Could she have actually done something like that?

"Hurry up, Silvia!" Camille rushed Silvia out the car. She gently nudged her back a few times, earning herself a hiss from her.

"I have on heels! I'm moving as fast as I can," Silvia snapped.

"Camille, you've got to show us which part of the creek she hangs around," Andrew announced as soon as his body was out the car. He slammed his door shut and circled around to Jeremy and I's side.

"Right, follow me. It's this way!" Camille sprinted past all of us. 

I saw Silvia do something I never thought I'd see her do in a life time. She sucked her teeth and nudged her heels off her feet, placing them in her hands. When she caught my raised eyebrow, she scrunched her nose.

"What?" She huffed. "They were getting uncomfortable. I can normally run, in heels, but not in the damn dirt," she said in a duh tone. I shook it off and ran behind her. 

We were like the characters from Scooby-Doo scrambling to solve the mystery. Only, there wasn't much of a mystery here. Well, I guess there was considering there were a lot of questions we needed answered right about now.

"Do you see any sign of them anywhere yet?" Silvia panted. She obviously had the athletic abilities of a sloth. All I could think of was Sid, from Ice Age when I looked at her hunched over position.

"Come on, they won't be able to hear you from back here. You're moving so slow, they're leaving us behind," I said, nudging her back. She looked like she was going to retort, but another voice beat her to it.

"Makayla!?" Camille's screech woke the forest. Birds fluttered away from where we stood. Squirrels skipped in another direction to avoid the madness. Other small creatures took off too. Neither Silvia or I understood what she saw until we saw the scene ahead.