Prolouge

There had been a prophecy passed through generations of every werewolf pack that had yet to be fulfilled. It is a tale of the one true Alpha who is bigger, stronger, and the king of all Wolves—chosen by the Moon Goddess, Callisto, to bring peace to every pack of werewolves. Said Wolf would be immortal, as they would be an extension of the goddess.

The one true Alpha will have a coat as bright as the moon, a good heart, and would lead with dignity, only appearing once an Alpha takes over their pack.

Of course, people stopped believing the One True Alpha would appear after thousands of years of war between packs that caused illness, dwindling in numbers, famine, and not to mention the fact that Wolves had to go into hiding from humans after being hunted down.

So, is the One True Alpha just a wise tale, or is the worst threat to the existence of Werewolves yet to come?

***

Roughhousing in the packhouse wasn't uncommon. Men and women would shift into wolves and spar until someone bled for practice. Once in a while, it would result in something breaking.

But when Paige heard a crash come from downstairs at three o'clock in the morning, she knew something was wrong.

Grabbing her house coat, she threw it on before running downstairs, seeing her father and his Beta, Louis Monroe, staring each other down, nearly face to face.

She stopped in the middle of the staircase, and a few other pack members who lived there rushed over, including Elder Lincoln, Paige's great-uncle.

"Boys," he snapped, "What is the meaning of this? Alpha Ivan? Care to explain?"

Her father's eyes didn't leave his second in command for a second, "We have a traitor among us."

Monroe laughed, "Oh, I'm a traitor because I gave you a choice? Your life or the Alpha position. You can raise your daughter in exile, and I will be a better Alpha than you could ever be."

Ivan growled deeply, eyes turning golden, "You're not fit to be Alpha. Of this pack, or any pack."

Monroe's eyes darkened, "Fine, have it your way then."

The scene happened so fast. Paige could smell the Wolfsbane on Monroe as he turned from man to Wolf. She gasped but couldn't get a word out and turned into her Wolf form herself. The only thing going through her mind was, "Protect the Alpha. Protect my father."

Without thinking, she charged at the pair, diving between her father, still in human form, and Monroe, who launched at Ivan, trying to slice him with his claws.

Instead of hitting the Alpha, his claws dug deep into Paige's left side, causing her to yelp as she landed roughly on the floor just a few feet away.

Ivan never turned as quickly as he did, attacking Monroe, filled with complete rage, clawing and biting at him.

Paige looked at her stomach, which had large purple claw marks. She yelped out, using the mind link to connect with her father and warn him, "There's Wolfsbane in his claws!"

Her warning came too late, though, as Monroe had scratched at Ivan's neck just before Ivan latched onto his throat, ripping it out. Monroe was killed instantly.

Paige could last remember seeing her father's Wolf collapsing onto the ground before the world around her fell into darkness.

Paige felt herself being ripped out of a dream when she came to. She opened her eyes, immediately noticing she was in the packhouse infirmary. The first-floor east wing had a kitchen, the infirmary, and a training room fit for the strongest of Wolves.

The pack doctor noticed she was awake "Hey, Paige, just breathe, alright?" He said calmly, turning to a nurse who had followed her in, "Go find Elders Agatha and Lincoln."

The nurse nodded, rushing out of the curtained-off space to summon the Wolves.

Paige furrowed her eyebrows, confused, "Doctor, what happened?"

Doctor Collins looked her over, waving his finger in front of her good eye, "What's the last thing you remember?"

She groaned, "Louis Monroe attacked my father, but I smelled the Wolfsbane while he was turning. I tried to jump at him to stop him from hurting my dad and got hurt instead. Dad was angry and started fighting him. The last thing I remember was the pain, telling my dad about the Wolfsbane and then passing out."

The doctor nodded, "Yes. Monroe is dead. You and your father were rushed down here, but you both had Wolfsbane in your systems. We only had enough antidote for one more person; your father insisted we use it on you."

She felt her face drain of all color, "No. He's not..."

The expression the doctor wore on his face was filled with sorrow; she knew what he meant before he clearly spoke the words. "Alpha Ivan Volkov, your father, is Dead."