41

"I didn't want him to go. Last time he went to deal with Woodbury, he didn't come back for days. This time, he might not come back at all."

"JUST

"JUST... COME BACK SAFE."

"Always." Daryl placed his lips on the side of her head before jumping onto his brother's motorcycle. He gave her one last glance before driving through the gate with Hershel and Rick in the car behind him.

"They'll be fine." Carol stated, placing her hand on Caroline's shoulder, "Hopefully."

Caroline looked back at the older woman, "If they don't come back... we're screwed."

"Hershel, Daryl and Rick went to go speak to the Governor in some old mill miles away. Rick said ti was dangerous, but if he was willing to make a deal, then it would be worth it. Better than us fighting, killing."

While everyone went back inside to organise their weapons and ammunition that Rick had brought back while on his run with Carl and Michonne, Caroline stayed on watch outside.

Soon the younger male Grimes made his way towards her. He stood there for a moment, staring out at the landscape before them before speaking, "Do you think we'll win?"

Caroline glanced down at him before sighing, "In this world, when it's human against human, I don't think there are winners. There are survivors. And honestly? I don't know." She wrapped her arm around his shoulders, "But what I do know is that you and your father helped level the playing field by going on that run."

He looked up at her and smirked, "Yeah?"

"Oh, yeah." Care smirked, "You really stepped up, Carl. I'm proud of you." She squeezed his shoulder.

"I really am proud of him. His mother would be, too. He's following in his father's footsteps, taking leadership. I just hope Lori is watching down on him smiling."

They heard a commotion going on inside the prison and the two ran inside. Merle was on top of Glenn, his hand around the smaller man's neck. Maggie and Michonne pulled him back at Beth shot a bullet in the air, making everyone pause.

"Let me go." Merle growled, pulling away from them and going back into the cell block.

"Merle and Daryl were similar in many ways. They can both explode and lash out. At least Daryl could be reasoned with. Merle was different. It was his way or the highway. And his way is going to get people killed."

Caroline ordered Glenn to go on watch and everyone went their separate ways. She was sharpening her arrows in her cell she heard footsteps.

"So... yer the pretty little thing that's been pulling my brother's leash." The older Dixon grinned from the cell door.

She rolled her eyes, "I wouldn't put it like that."

Merle scoffed, "Please, you've got him hung up like a virgin that's been stood up on prom night. 'Caroline this, gotta go see Caroline, Caroline that', shoot, would've understood if he woulda' mentioned your ass cause damn, sister-"

Caroline rolled her eyes, "Do you ever shut your damn mouth?!"

Merle took another step into her cell, "Look, missy, I don' know what kinda witchcraft you pulled on my baby brother, but what I do know is that he has a lot more to offer in this world than he did in the last. I know what game yer playin'."

Caroline stood from her bed and crossed her arms, "I ain't playing a game with Daryl. And if we were in the old world, yes, maybe our paths wouldn't have crossed and maybe I wouldn't have ended up with him, but that doesn't matter now. I care about him, I really do. And I wish you would see that."

"Yer gonna break his heart." Merle glared,

"And he's gonna break mine."

"It's true. One day, one of us won't make it back from a hunting trip or a supply run. And someone's gonna be heart broken. It's inevitable."

"They're back!" Beth called out and the two exited the cell.

Everyone gathered outside the cells and Caroline walked over to Daryl, wrapping her arms around him. Merle watched from the side, his eyes narrowing at them.

"So, I met this Governor." Rick told them, "Sat with him for quite a while."

"Just the two of you?" Merle asked,

"Yeah." Rick nodded,

"Should have gone when we had the chance, bro." Merle muttered to Glenn as he walked past him,

"He wants the prison." Rick announced, "He wants us gone. Dead. He wants us dead for what we did to Woodbury. We're going to war."

He gave everyone one last look before leaving the cell block. Caroline looked up at Daryl and he squeezed her hand in comfort.

"But there was nothing he could do to comfort me. We had a war on our hands. And usually there's casualties on both sides."