Chains of the past

Loki was starting to get really tired of them. The constant whispers in the background. He was familiar with them. He had heard them growing up.

Sif whispering with the warriors three: "Why does Thor always insist that Loki come with us?"

"I do not know," Fandral replied. "It's not as though he is of any help."

"And he is rather odd," Hogun added.

Truth be told, Loki was not entirely sure if he had heard that right or not. It sure seemed real right now though. He had to keep reminding himself, 'I am inside my own head. This is literally all in my head.'

Still Loki could not deny that all the scenes Yord had shown him where he himself had been present were true. He remembered them all. Who was to say the others were not true as well?

No! This is what she wanted.

Yes, Odin had sealed away Hela. The All-Father had admitted to it himself. Hela had committed horrible crimes though... and he had let her for a long time. It now seemed more likely that she had acted on his command.

Loki closed his eyes, trying to shut out the memories. Trying so hard. Doing everything in his power, as he always had. Behaving correctly... talking correctly... studying to keep up with Thor... But it was still Thor, Thor who got the smiles and the praise. The eagerness to greet him, the pride. Odin would proudly showcase all of Thor's progress but none of Loki's. Instead, he would hide it from the world.

"Darling." Yord laid a gentle hand on his shoulder. "Forgive me. This isn't what I wanted. Laufey was not supposed to kill me. I wanted to raise you."

"With stories of how horrible Odin is, no doubt," Loki interrupted.

"With the truth," Yord corrected as Loki turned around. "And with no intention of trying to change you. You are, after all, already perfect."

Loki closed his eyes, feeling Yord's gentle hands on his face, caressing him lovingly.

"Perhaps, together we could even have freed Hela, and we could have been together... as a family!" Yord smiled.

Loki's eyes widened, and he stepped back. "No!" he gasped. "You are only trying to tempt me!"

"Yes." Yord nodded. "You deserve only the best. You deserve to step out of the shadows and show the world all that you are capable of. Why shouldn't you aim for that?"

"Well... that... that is not for you to decide." Loki stated. "I can handle my own fate."

Yord sighed. "A shame, really. You could save them. You've been to Jotunheim, haven't you?" she asked.

Loki was quiet but nodded as they now found themselves at that snowy place.

"You have the power, you know," Yord breathed. "To save this dying realm. You may be the only one who can. In fact, that seems rather likely."

Loki glanced across the cold winterscape of that nearly dead world. A world where the inhabitants had to do whatever they could to survive... or perish.

Loki shook his head. "Laufey is king."

"A horrible king, leaving his own realm to rot. You though, are his rightful heir," Yord urged.

Loki hissed, "It is not right."

"In a world like this, it is kinder to rely on a necessary evil," Yord said. Loki halted, then turned to her. "People on Asgard would call a man like Ymir evil, but you saw, didn't you? What he brought, in this world. It was desperately needed," she explained. "Still is. A kind man will do them no good, no. They need a man with power and authority."