Ear of Gold

I survived relentless bullying.

Yes, it's hard for most people to believe because I'm so well adjusted but I was a victim of vicious bullying. Let me tell you how it happened.

It started on my 25th birthday although I didn't realise it then. I was curled up on my queen sized bed (because you know I'm a queen), tired after a long night of partying. "Ramu Kaka!" I yelled. "Music band kar do!"

"Koi music nai hai didi," he claimed. What was he talking about? There was a loud thumping sound like my boyfriend Akash makes when he plays the drums. Well, ex-boyfriend. Why was I even thinking about him? I must obviously be hungover.

"Didi, medicine," Ramu Kaka was back with a Dolo 650 and some lemon water. I gratefully gulped down the entire glass. I needed to be in my senses before I made the most important decision of the day - what outfit do I wear to the spa? It's really hard because there are so many choices. Back when I was going to college, I used to envy those kids from small towns who only had like 20 different outfits. It was so easy for them to decide!

I finally chose something really cheap and comfy - red converse, diesel jeans and a supreme top. "Ramu Kaka, gadi nikalo!" I yelled as I went downstairs to join my family for breakfast.

"Look who's finally up," mom said. "But happy birthday, my baby!"

Something was off. My brother would always have breakfast at home, no matter what his plans were. Even weirder - my dad wasn't reading the newspaper, and he always reads it even though it's so boring. Frankly the only part of the newspaper worth reading is The Bombay Times.

"Come on mom, I'm just a few minutes late to breakfast."

"It's lunch time, you can't keep sleeping in so long" Dadi huffed.

"I missed breakfast?" I said, sounding upset but secretly I was pleased because that witch Natasha recently lost a lot of weight and she was showing off every week at Twyst. She was getting more insta likes than me. It was time to show her who was actually the hottest.

"Great meal!" I said as I spooned the last of the rajma chawal off the plate. "Thank you, I wanted to plan the perfect menu for your birthday," mom said with a smile.

Dad looked satisfied as well.

Dadi however was not looking happy. "I can only blame myself, " she said. "Look at this Nishant, how old is she? What is she doing with her life?"

"Ma please," dad said. "It's her birthday, let's discuss this later."

"Hai Bhagwan, why did you leave me here in this cruel household?" Dadi whined. She's sooo dramatic.

"Mom, dad, I'm going to check on the decorations for the party." I said as I picked up my Gucci crossbody bag. "I'll die if the party's not featured in the Bombay Times, and Ayushi told me her senior editor is being super choosy now."

Okay, I lied. I didn't go to Twyst to check on the decorations. I went to Inorbit Mall instead. I had to! Natasha had posted a new album and she was looking hot. What would it look like if I didn't glow on my birthday?

"Hey babe!" I heard someone call out. "Happy Birthday!" Anya wrapped me in a hug.

"Thank you," I said. "Let's take a picture for my insta?"

"Are you mad? I look like trash, see my face!"

I guess I looked upset or something, because she immediately said, "Fine, let's take a pic for your story. But babe, do you know how many contacts I had to use to get us this booking at Relaxvana? I had to speak to Sonam! Sonam!"