Chapter Twenty Nine/Afraid to Love

Lauren's POV

I watched Jason run out of the lab and settled my gaze onto Taehyung who had his brown eyes staring back at me.

Act according to the plan. Stay safe.

He said. Raising an eyebrow at him, I opened my mouth.

Don't bother. You have much explaining to do but now isn't the right time. Take care...

He shook his head and headed out.

About 15 minutes had passed by and none of the guys had returned back.

Had Jason found Tae? Oh no...

I stepped out of the room, my hands still tied behind me. I ran out to the first floor to search for my daughter, Mi and Tae both would be there unless the plan failed...

I spent 15 more minutes running around the hallways unable to find any of them when a hand harshly pulled me.

Eun Jun! Finally!

Let go, Jason.

He scowled at me, freed me off the ropes and pulled me towards the stairs.

What do you want?!

I yelled.

Eun Jun-ah. Please, follow me. My boss found out that I betrayed him so he decided to destroy the evidence and yea the evidence being us. The whole place is on fire. We need to get out of here!

And then I saw in horror, the place was surrounded with flames.

No, Jason! They are still in there!

He tightened his grip on my arm as I tried to pull myself away from him.

Eun Jun! I saw Taehyung get them out of here. Now, hurry up!

I looked at him, unsure what to do.

For real?

Yes!

He yelled, clearly annoyed.

He pulled me to the ground floor approached the main entrance of our former school.

The wooden door was being devoured by the fire and soon after the upper horizontal frame came crashing down making us both stop in our tracks.

Goddamnit!

He cursed.

Jason paused for a second before wrapping me in his shirt and coat. He stood there, half naked, his torso covered in long slashes and old scars.

Quit staring at me as if I'm some ill street dog.

He pushed me towards the burning doorway and grabbed a long, thick wooden staff.

Clearing a small way for me to go through, he motioned for me to get going.

What about you?

I asked hesitantly.

You go first and if your clothes do catch fire, roll onto the ground. Pass me the clothes when you are done.

I crawled into the tiny space, flinching when the burning charcoal touched my skin. Doing as I was told, I pass the shirt and coat to him.

I watch as he fumbled with the clothes before trying to get rid of the flames that tried to lick the hole.

Jason gets down on his knees and is about to crawl out when a piece of burning debris falls towards him. He dodges it just to be taken down by another, bigger one.

I let out a scream as his clothes catch the fire.

Jason!

He groans in pain and twists in agony.

Jason!

I try again.

He grunts, trying to get himself out from under the burning material.

Eun Jun-ah. I'm sorry that I was such an asshole.

He stops fidgeting around and stares into my eyes as I panic.

You see...you weren't the only one with abusive parents. My mom left my dad for some filthy rich guy which had him drowning in liquor. The money I earned as a kid wasn't enough to quench his thirst for alcohol. He sold me off to an auction house. My boss had bought me, taught me how to kill and do all they nasty jobs. I returned back to my dad when he was on his deathbed. 'Don't let women control you. Don't love, it never ends well.', he'd said.

He hissed as his skin burned.

No...Jason!

I launched myself towards the door only to be held back by a pair of strong hands. I stared back at Taehyung, who looked at me worriedly.

T-Tae...save him. Please...

Taehyung let go of me to try and find another way in.

Oye, Kim! Stop it, already. Let me be. I deserve it. Eun Jun-ah...I really didn't hate you, I was scared and selfish...No, I never ever slept with any other women. The photo which you received was an act. Be it Lauren or Eun Jun or June, I but only loved you. No, i didn't know how to and ended up hurting you which I do regret.

Jason! Stop talking. We will get you out of here...

I was bawling my eyes out at the guy who moments ago had been my enemy.

Eun Jun...Remember the one time that I flipped and threw away the strawberry icecream that you had made for me? I'm sorry for that as well. It was my mother's favorite. At least that's what dad said. It scared me that I was going to end up like my father. I really am sorry and if possible please bury me in our family grave in Busan. I want to tell my dad how he had been wrong, how we had been wrong. Take care of Stacey. I'm tired, let me sleep for a while...Go away...Black Swan...

I pulled my head up and wiped my tears when I noticed he'd stopped talking.

Jason! Wake up!

I stood up and went for the door again as Taehyung dragged me away from it.

L-Eun Jun...let's go. It isn't safe to stay here, the roof overhead can crumble down. Go...

I tried to get away from him as he pulled me away from my first love, the guy who had been too afraid to love me and yet did.

Jason! No...

Taehyung wrapped his arm around my shoulder to prevent me from falling down.

Hush...

He pressed a kiss onto my forehead as I continued sobbing.

We walked out, towards the cars that were parked at a safe distance from the school building. The corner of my eyes caught sight of police vehicles and approaching firefighters.

Mi tackled me into a bear hug I clutch onto her, hiccupping.

They got me into a car as I sat beside Tae, leaning my head onto his shoulder.

He didn't hurt Stacey. He had asked her to play in the school playground.

He said.

A tear or two dripped down my cheeks as I drifted off to sleep.