Chapter 23

**Zevander's POV**

   It's been a few weeks since Braxlyn and I have patched things up. She seems a lot happier lately and even enjoys working out.

The paparazzi of course did what we knew they would do. There wasn't a single magazine or newspaper cover that didn't have our picture on it. Some were wondering who Braxlyn was to me, but most wanted to know if the widowed father has finally found someone to settle down with or if she was just someone to warm my bed.

I was worried how Braxlyn would feel about their assumptions or speculations but she didn't let what the paparazzi say about us get her down. No, instead we shared a few laughs over the articles.

Everyday after Lenaya gets out of school we head over to the diner where Braxlyn works for a few hours. Sometimes she's so busy she doesn't even get five minutes to talk with us, but Lenaya and I don't mind as most times I continue with my work while Lenaya does her homework. It's just nice to be able to look up and see her beautiful smiling face.

But for ever good day I have, I have a shitty night. The days are becoming shorter and the nights longer as Lenaya wakes up most nights crying for Braxlyn. I don't know if it has something to do with the way I pushed Braxlyn away in the past that keeps Lenaya up or if she just misses her that much. Usually when that happens I'm able to handle it, but on a few nights when she refuses to go back to sleep, I allow her to call Braxlyn so she can reassure Lenaya that she'll see her tomorrow after school, then she's out like I light.

Before we left the diner last night Lenaya asked Braxlyn if she would come with me to pick her up after school. She agreed of course and even prepared a picnic for us to enjoy at the park.

Instead of dropping Braxlyn off at home she decided to stay another night to help with Lenaya, which leads us to where we're at.

"She's fighting her sleep again."

Looking in the rearview mirror I meet the tired eyes of Lenaya. She yawns but tries to shake the sleep away. Sighing I reply. "Seems like it."

Hell I'd love to switch places with her right now. Lenaya had a nightmare last night and was to afraid to go back to sleep. She insisted on me reading to her. I think I read every book she has in her room.

"You look tired? Did Lenaya keep you up last night?" Braxlyn wonders, concern in her voice.

"Yeah," I yawn. "She had another nightmare and wanted me to read every book she owns, which by the way, it still didn't help her fall asleep." Braxlyn's eyes widen a fraction and I can't help but chuckle at this.

"Why didn't you wake me? I would of attended to her needs."

Shrugging I respond. "I didn't want to wake you, besides you looked peaceful sleeping."

"It doesn't matter, Zev. I would prefer you wake me. You look so tired."

'Sorry, love." I apologize. Truth is I would pick all the restless nights if it means she gets to sleep.

Pulling up to the house, Braxlyn jumps out of the car as soon as it's in park. Sighing I climb out and wait for her as she's already getting Lenaya out of her carseat.

We enter the house and Braxlyn goes straight upstairs to Lenaya's room. My guess is to get her bath water ready.

Leaning back against the sofa, I lay my head against the headrest and close my eyes. The sound of footsteps descending down the stairs wakes me. Braxlyn comes down the stairs in a pair of workout clothes and a beaming smile.