Happy birthday

"Time to wake up princess!"
"What time is it?"
"Its 3 in the morning dear."

Elena groaned and put her pillow over her face.
"I can't believe I've woken up so many times and still haven't gotten used to it. Do I have to?" I asked, hoping the answer was no.

"Honey you're late you were supposed to wake up at 2:50 to go meet the new prince."

I stood up. I straightened my back and looked in the mirror. My curly blonde hair was a mess.
"Ugh. I've got major hair issues I swear."
I picked up the comb and started attempting to comb it.
"Honey, what are you doing?" My mother asked me with strange eyes.
"Um, combing my hair?" I replied.

"You're a princess, you will not go around acting like a poor maid. Especially on your birthday." She scolded.

"Its my birthday?"

"Yes it is! You really forgot?" She asked me.

"AMELIA! THIS HAIR WONT FIX IT SELF!" My mother yelled at the top of her lungs.

She always wondered why her mother had to treat people lesser than her with no respect. Especially people with black skin. Jealousy? Anger? Just plain evil? Elena just couldn't figure out why.

"Coming MADAM!" Elena could hear amelia footsteps scurrying past the kitchen towards my room.

"Mom just because I'm royalty doesn't mean I'm a kid. I know how to comb my hair, amelia doesn't have to do it for me." Elena tried to inform her.

"Nonsense. We are royalty. If they want us to take care of their land, they must give us something in return." My mom responded.
"But mom haven't they already given you enough?" She asked.

The look on her face told me to be quiet.

She left her room and Elena sighed.