jaehyun [nineteen]

Strangely, when you got back to Vivi's Vintage Vinyls, the lights were off inside, and the closed sign was flipped around. Weird. Did Jaehyun just... forget that you were bringing him dinner? And that all your stuff was inside? And that the shop was supposed be open for another two hours?

Doubtful that it would work, you tried the handle nonetheless. It opened. You could at least get your things. But as soon as you had entered the dark shop, you heard a click and suddenly caught sight of a light from your left. Walking around the counter, you saw Jaehyun sitting cross-legged on the floor behind the counter, a flickering candle lit in front of him as he then lit two more on either side of the first. Two wine glasses were set out, one with a can of Sunkist beside it and the other with your own favorite non-alcoholic beverage.

"Oh..." you breathed out, irrepressible grin coming to your face as you took it in.

"Is this a little bit more of a romantic second date than just studying and working?" He quipped, eyebrow quirking up.

You nodded, sitting down in a little bit of a daze. Jaehyun took the food containers from your hands and opened them up, laying out the food in front of the two of you. He cracked open your drink first, pouring it to the appropriate level that one would typically pour wine into a wine glass, despite it most definitely not being wine. Then he opened his own with a satisfying sizzle and served himself in a similar fashion.

"Can you close the shop just to have dinner with me?" You asked curiously as he took out utensils for the two of you.

"Don't worry, I asked my manager."

"Aren't you the manager?"

"Exactly."

"Oh my god."

"I don't mind bending the rules for you, Y/N, you might want to get used to it instead of questioning me every time I do it."

Silent for a moment as you absentmindedly traced the rim of your glass, you relented, "Fine."

"Nice," he grinned, holding his own wine glass up towards you. Getting the hint, you clinked them together before taking a sip.

"So what are you reading?" You gestured towards the counter above you where his closed book was.

"The Iliad, again."

"You like it, then?"

"Yes, and it's the next assigned reading for your class; I always make sure to have the story fresh in my mind before you guys start it."

"That's nice. I don't think Dr. Kwan has read half the stuff that he makes us read. Or, he at least hasn't read it in decades."

"Dr. Kwan is barely in his thirties, did you know that?"

"He doesn't look like it."

"You're mean."

"But I'm right, right? He looks like he's at least fifty!"

Jaehyun gave you a pointed look before it broke into a guilty smile, "I'd say no more than forty-five."

"You're too kind, Jae," you snickered. "The Iliad is about a war, right?"

He raised an eyebrow, "You know anything more about it than that?"

"I think I read an excerpt of when Achilles drags Hector's body around behind the chariot after Hector killed Achilles' boyfriend."

"Patroclus."

"Yeah, him," you took a bite of your food then washed it down before adding, "It was on some reading comprehension test I took in middle school. I didn't like it too much."