Chapter 1

"Milkblaze, look!"

The white and cream warrior turned his head and saw his apprentice pop his head out of a bush, holding a limp frog in his jaws. "Well done, Timberpaw!" He praised, and the young tabby padded over to him, his tail high. "That's two in a row."

Timberpaw dropped the frog at his paws and looked up at his mentor. "I've been meaning to ask," He meowed hesitantly. "How far along am I with my training?"

Milkblaze expected to see an excited look in the young tom's eyes, but his expression was serious. He's mature for his age. He thought. Most apprentices are bouncing around ready to explode at the thought of completing their training! "You're just over halfway," He told him. "And you're learning very fast. You'll be taking the oath before you know it."

The tabby's tufted ears pricked forward, revealing his contained excitement. Milkblaze purred and looked toward the sky. They had left the camp just before dawn. Now, the sun had begun to rise beyond the pine trees. "I think that's enough training for today," He meowed. "Let's collect your prey and head back to camp."

"Great!" Timberpaw purred. "Buzzardglare and Foxshine will be hungry." As he dug up the other frog he caught, he looked up at Milkblaze. "I've been wondering, about the oath... Are we really expected to defend the clan with our lives? I mean..." He paused as though gathering his thoughts. "Are all warriors meant to die in battle? I want to live a long life. I don't want to die..."

For a heartbeat, Milkblaze was startled by the unusual question. Of course you're expected to protect your clanmates with your life! Why wouldn't you? He pondered upon his response as Timberpaw picked up two frogs by the legs in his teeth, and he padded alongside his apprentice toward the camp.

Milkblaze could understand Timberpaw's concern. As a young apprentice, the oath seemed to be of little importance, simply words in a ceremony. But this leafbare, every cat had seen just how real taking the oath was.

For moons, the clans had been terrorized by a gang of rogues led by a merciless cat called Bone Shred. Warriors from every clan had died, fulfilling their promise to defend their clans with their lives. ShadowClan had lost their deputy, Pinetail, who had since been succeeded by Depthwater. Every cat in ShadowClan respected and grieved for her. Milkblaze did miss the prickly she-cat. But he and his littermates had lost far more than their deputy.

***

"Milkpaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend your clan, even at the cost of your life?"

A few tail lengths from the foot of the meeting rock, Milkpaw stood tall, yellow eyes shining up at his leader. His heart fluttered excitedly in the moment he'd waited so long for. "I do." He meowed.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, I give you your warrior name." A frosty breeze ruffled Stormstar's gray tabby pelt. "Milkpaw, from this moment on you will be known as Milkblaze. StarClan honors your loyalty and kindness, and we welcome you as a full warrior of ShadowClan."

Milkblaze! His heart warmed. He immediately turned his head to see his mother, Redblaze. She sat at the front of the crowd, her yellow eyes glowing with pride. Stormstar named me after her. What an honor! Beside her, his father, Baconstripe, watched them warmly.

Their mother, Redblaze, was one of the most experienced warriors in ShadowClan. Every cat admired and respected her. Even Stormstar himself seemed to rank her above him. Stormstar isn't a young cat anymore. Milkblaze thought. And I hope he doesn't join StarClan any time soon. But I'm sure when Pinetail becomes leader, she'll make Redblaze her deputy.

"Milkblaze! Maplefur! Rosebreeze!" The clan cheered the names of the new warriors.

Despite the chill of leaf-bare, Milkblaze felt as warm as though the sun were shining down on his pelt. He started to turn toward his siblings, but found himself face to face with Buzzardglare. "Congratulations, Milkblaze." The older tom rumbled. "You'll be a great warrior."