Chapter 1 - Back to Hogwarts

It had been an agonizing few weeks, laying in wait for this moment, but the time had finally come.

    Helena Borington sat with her hands clasped neatly over her bulging suitcase, gazing out over the landscape passing her by in a great green blur. Muggle transport had not been her first choice to travel with, but it was easier than most--especially seeing as she couldn't apparate very well--so here she found herself aboard a train from London hurtling toward the Scottish Highlands for her newest endeavor.

    The letter that had brought her to this moment was tucked neatly away within the suitcase, kept almost perfectly preserved for keepsake purposes. When it had arrived, and Helena had scanned through its contents, she had felt an overwhelming sense of pride in herself, much like she'd just won some grand prize at the end of a race. Ever since, she'd likely read the letter about twenty times over, each experience better than the last as she realized she had truly done it.

    Because it was on her mind once again, Helena now moved to unlatch the suitcase, unconcerned about being unable to close it back completely. She slid it off of her lap, into the seat beside her, and pulled it open.

    It was a surprise that the old yellow thing hadn't fallen apart yet. Inside was a hastily packed wardrobe--dress robes and clothes that had been obviously thrown in without a second thought. Then there were books, books unrelated to the wizarding world but of which Helena valued deeply. The neatest section of the suitcase was, considerably, the miniature vials of ingredients for brews, not nearly all of what Helena owned back at home but merely a collection of the ones she tended to use the most. They were sewn into little pockets along the roof of the suitcase, pockets that didn't match because they had not been there originally. Their addition had been done as a favor by her grandfather, Angus, when she had inherited the suitcase.

    "That there is for the utmost important specimens," he'd told her with a wink. "That way you can bring them home from wherever you might go, or vice versa."

    Helena smiled a sad smile as she remembered this, thinking about how proud Angus might have been to hear about where she was heading now.

    Pushing the sentimentality aside, she now slid the envelope out of the silken lining. The edges of the heavy parchment were already beginning to wear from her handling it so much, and the flap itself was slightly warped from the weight of the purple wax seal. She pushed it away and pulled out the single piece of paper inside.

    Dear Ms. Borington,

I do hope this letter finds you in good health, and if not, do take care to let me know straight away.

    Helena had laughed at this the first time she'd read the letter. Now, she simply bore a smile.

I am pleased to inform you that your application for the position of Potions professor here at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry has been accepted. You'll be expected here at the castle by 15 of August so as to begin preparations for the upcoming academic school year. If you wish to come any earlier, that can be arranged.

Do please come visit me in my office upon your arrival, as we have much to discuss before you begin your teachings.

Until then, Ms. Borington.

                                    Best wishes,

                                Minerva McGonagall

                                    Headmistress

    Sighing contentedly, Helena leaned back in her seat and lay the letter open-faced on her lap. It would be another few hours before her arrival, but she somehow already felt as if she was there, back to roaming the halls of the school she'd spent most of her young life at. Back in that time, she never dreamed she'd get the chance to return once she graduated. However, life has a mysterious way of working. . .