The Curse Of The 9th Symphony

It was September first and all the students were excited. They had changed into their black robes and were chatting elatedly. The first years had to cross the lake to reach the castle, their new home- Hogwarts, the school of witchcraft and wizardry. Eddy and Brett climbed in a boat along with Henry and Michael. They all kept quiet except Brett who was pointing towards the castle shouting, “Ohh- look, look!”

“You seem to be too excited”, Henry smiled. “Oh yeah. I mean this is the birthplace of so many famous musicians and composers. I didn’t know until I received the letter”, “my parents didn’t know that too. They thought that all the geniuses were born and not created, you know.” “Same here, dude”, Eddy added, his cheeks flushed. “I just want to be sorted into Gryffindor,” Michael sighed.

“What about you guys?”

“Well, I don’t know much about the houses at Hogwarts.”

Henry and Michael exchanged a glance. “You don’t kno-. Oh, so you both must be muggle-born. Well, there are four houses- Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slythe-.” But he couldn’t complete the sentence because they had reached the underground arbour.

They silently walked up to the oak door and waited. The entrance door opened and they were ushered in front of everyone by Professor McGonagall. The sorting ceremony began with the sorting hat singing a song that changed every year. “I like Gryffindor though, it sounds cool,” Brett whispered in Eddy’s ear. Eddy nodded.

The sorting ceremony began and the first years were called up in the front and had to sit on a stool while they put the hat on their head. The line thinned and finally, Professor called “Brett Yang”. Brett sat on the tool and wore the hat. The hat started to mumble, “Hmm, sensitive and loyal but daring…Hmm…Oh and hunger for music…Slytherin? But no…not c-….RAVENCLAW!” And the students sitting on the second table towards the left of the Great Hall burst into applause.

It was Eddy’s turn now. He walked nervously to the stool and his cheeks turned red. And the hat mumbled again “Hmm…very loyal and loving…. passionate about music…hmm…where should I put him… maybe in Hufflepuff?” “No…” he closed his eyes. “Why? Hufflepuff has had many good wizards…Why?? Because I put your frie- RAVENCLAW!!”

Eddy sighed in relief and joined Brett among thunderous applause.

After the sorting ceremony was over, the headmaster allowed the feast to begin. Eddy and Brett began to eat. Eddy was upset because there was no Asian food on the table. Brett understood and he said, “You got to eat something bro.” Eddy forced down a piece of roast chicken, which tasted good.

A tall blonde boy approached them and his badge gleamed on his cloak. “Hi boys, my name Is Robert and I’m the prefect of the Ravenclaw house. If you have any problems just let me know.” Eddy nodded. “Well I wanted to ask you something”, Brett said. “Uhh, I mean. Why were we sorted into Ravenclaw?” Robert smiled. “The sorting hat might have sensed potential within you. You might be wise or clever or musicall-”.

“Music?”

“Well yes. All the greatest composers in the world were Ravenclaws. Like Tchaikovsky, Beethoven…Even Bach.” “Really?” Eddy asked. “Yes except for one composer. Paganini. Well, he was sorted into Slytherin, but he….” “Well boys better eat fast or else you will be going to bed hungry”, Robert said and left.

At around midnight, Eddy woke up with a familiar sound. Someone was playing the violin. “Brett…Brett wake up.” Brett fumbled for his glasses and listened carefully.

“Can you hear that?” Eddy enquired.

“Is that Paganini’s Caprice no. 5?” Brett was breathing heavily now.