Chapter One

~Abby~

Fog hung low over the green covered hills as Abby looked out the castle window. She could just make out Soryn in the back garden, speaking to the young Faye boy who they had flown all the way to the Highlands to see. She hugged herself tight — the news the boy had brought wasn't good.

Sighing, she turned away from the window of the bedroom that had become hers and Wesley's upon arrival and headed for the door. The room was a massive thing, with a fireplace bigger than her Mate and a bed big enough for three extra people. But the deep wood details and the rich red fabrics found throughout the room made the large space feel impossibly cozy.

Pausing briefly to eye the talisman that hung above the door — and to check that her father's necklace was secure around her neck — Abby headed out of the room. For some reason, ever since arriving in Scotland, Abby had been having trouble with spirits, again. Sometimes she could keep them away and yet other times no barrier seemed to stop them.

The wood and stone walls continued into the hallway where accents of animal heads and portraits of long dead family members littered the walls. Abby thought they were both equally creepy. The eyes on the paintings seemed to follow her and the animal heads were un-tasteful, in her opinion. Especially when the land surrounding the house and the building itself was swarming with ghosts of the past. She felt tired all the time, constantly trying to keep her mind focused on the tangible world around her. Not on the misty one overlaying it all. The talismans given to her by Claire only helped so much.

They were in the ancestral home of the MacKay's, where the Head Alpha of Scotland — Ewan Mackay — kept his pack. The scenery and imposing building had taken Abby's breath away when they had arrived a week ago. The land in the area different shades of green, bright like her own eyes and rich and dark like the pine trees back home. The stone castle, looking like it had been pulled right out of a history book, had ivy growing up the corners and flags flying from the highest points. If it wasn't for the weight of war heavy on her shoulders, she could almost believe that she had stepped into a fairytale.

Descending the oak stairs, Abby made her way into Ewan's office that sat just beyond the formal living room. It had become the center of activity in the house as of late and Abby wasn't at all surprised to find Wesley leaning on the desk, his brows pulled tight. He had been looking over maps and correspondences ever since they arrived. She could barely pull him out of the office at the end of the day, no matter how exhausted he was.

Leaving the rest of the pack behind in New York had taken a toll on him. No matter how hard he tried to hide it, she could see the effects of being so far away from his family. She would make sure to give Alex or Warren a call before they went to bed. The voices of his family would be able to ease some of the tension she could see coiled in his muscles.

"Ah, there she is. We were wondering if you had gotten lost again." Ewan MacKay's voice was thick with a Scottish accent and almost always held a laugh in every word. He was a big man, far stalkier and taller than any of the werewolves back in New York. But most of the Scottish wolves were. Abby found it all very fascinating.

Smiling, she raised a brow in his direction. "Very funny, I got lost once. Once, on the very first day here. And no one can let me live it down."

His blue eyes twinkled. "Not on your life, lass."

Shaking her head, but unable to wipe the smile from her face, Abby made her way over to Wesley. He hadn't even lifted his head when she walked into the room, but she had felt his consciousness brush against her's like a feather. Resting her hand onto his back, she pushed some warmth from her magic into him, her hand tingling strangely as she did. It had been doing that a lot since arriving at the castle. Feeling more like bees vibrating under her skin than the flow of water she was used to. "Find out anything useful amongst all this mess?"