Epilogue

~~~~

~~~~

The sun was perfect, shining in the bright blue sky. I was walking along the shoreline with my husband, Newt. He was carrying a quilt over his shoulder and a basket with his hand. There was a lot of food in that basket, and I wanted to help him carry it. I knew he wouldn't let me though, as he said he needed to be a gentleman for me so we could celebrate our two-year anniversary. As we walked past the poles supporting the tents, the huge, slim boulder caught my attention. On that boulder were the names of everyone that we lost to get us to the safe haven. Winston, Mary, Lillian, Chuck, Teresa.

Just looking at that rock made everything that's happened to us come flooding back like it all happened yesterday. It had been six years since W.I.C.K.E.D. had fallen, and The Right Arm brought them to justice. I couldn't believe how time goes by so quickly. Luckily, during those years, we've learned how society works. Cities are beginning to grow, as is the human population. The Flare virus has slowed down, burning itself out. The Cranks are dying along with the virus. Some of us have decided to leave to build their own lives and to help regenerate civilization. They started families, learned how to school again, and even set up police to protect and serve. Things were definitely starting to look up, and they couldn't be happier.

Meanwhile, my friends, husband and I wanted to stay here to help. But love was beginning to blossom for those who were waiting all this time. Minho finally found the girl of his dreams named Alice, and they are coming up four years strong. Brenda and Gally just got engaged and are expecting to be married by autumn. Thomas met a woman named Marie, and already, they got married and had their first baby, and Sonya and Aris are about to have their third. As for Frypan, he's still waiting for the right girl. For now, he sets his love for cooking like he always has.

In doing so, memories from our past lives slowly started coming back to us. Newt and I learned that Sonya is Newt's sister, and her real name is Lizzy. Thomas learned his real name is Stephen, but he preferred to be called by his original name since he woke up in the Maze. I fully remembered who my parents were, and where I lived. I used to have a dog named Bruno, and he died trying to save my family and I when W.I.C.K.E.D. tried to take me. My dad was the second to die from getting a bullet through his head. They had a little bit of heart in them to let my mother say goodbye to me before she died from natural causes. Now that I know the truth, I don't let it deceive me. What's the point in holding onto something from the past when we have the responsibility to shape our future?

"Are you okay, love?" Newt asked, bringing me back to the present.

"Huh? Yeah. I'm fine," I replied.

"Come on, we're almost there."

I followed Newt up the grassy hill where we could have our privacy to celebrate. Newt refused to let me help him set everything up, so I just stood there, watching him; a smile growing on my face. Moments like these make me remember why I fell in love with him. I definitely lucked out, that's for sure.