Chapter 8

Okay so for the sake of you know, my sanity and this story, we're gonna pretend that the dance practice was Ravenclaw and Gryffindor, and before the first task. Oh and that Luna is in Harry's year.
..............................................................

You hadn't stopped smiling since you'd left your best friends, and although you cursed at how George could make you turn into such a... such a girl, you couldn't deny that the wave of happiness you got when you were with him was refreshing. Luna listened to all of this when you told her as such on the way to a Gryffindor/Ravenclaw meeting that McGonagall and Flitwick had called. Patricia Stimpson, a sixth year Ravenclaw had overheard you and Luna puzzling over it and had supplied that it was probably about the Yule ball; something to do with the Triwizard tournament apparently.

Luna turned towards you as you traversed the corridors before the meeting and in her sweet, inquisitive voice she asked, "Do you think you might attend the ball Y/N, I'm sure you'd look lovely in a dress." You suspected the latter part of her speech was due to the fact that everybody only ever saw you in trousers when you were out of uniform but it still warmed your heart.

Despite hanging around the twins, who were, by nature, some of the loudest people you'd ever met, you were by no means as extroverted as them and the thought of having to stand in a hall all night in a dress, surrounded by people and without a date sounded less than pleasant. "Ah Luna, you know me... I'd much rather spend the night doing something else and, come to think of it, the kitchens'll probably be empty, what with everyone being at the ball. There we go, that's a plan." You grinned across at her and she giggled.

"I'm sure George will ask you though Y/N, wouldn't you want to go with him?" she offered up, causing you to balk as you laughed.

"I highly doubt that Luna, he'll probably have a date by the time this meeting is over. Who knows, maybe I'll end up asking Katie, that'd be a laugh don't you think?"

Nearing the room in which the meeting was being held, both you and Luna peered through the gap in the door to see every Ravenclaw and Gryffindor girl in fourth year and above sitting on the right side of the room, with all the boys sat on the left. You spotted your sister who had a free seat either side of her, and steered Luna towards her before they were snatched up. "Hey 'Mione, you heard about this ball thing as well then?" She startled at your voice, her head snapping up from a book she was reading about potions. Honestly sometimes you wondered why she wasn't in the same house as you, but then she displayed some amazing quality that you didn't possess, and you were reminded as to exactly why she was in Gryffindor.

"Y/N/N! I haven't seen you properly in ages, you always seem to be slipping off these days; and yes, I have heard about the ball although you seem slightly more happy about it than I thought you'd be, considering you never like this sort of thing." As she spoke, she patted the seat next to her and you plonked down very ungracefully on it, earning you a bitchy look from the Gryffindor on your other side. Luna sat down in the seat on her other side, smiling at both you and your sister before making friendly conversation with another Ravenclaw.

"Oh it's all part of the plan Hermione, I don't need to go to the ball to have fun that night. Lets just say my night involves many visits to a hopefully deserted kitchen." You winked and could tell she was about to start lightly telling you off when something hit you on the side of the head. Bending down to pick up the piece of paper that was now by your feet, you could see Hermione raising a brow at you and you shrugged, although you had a good idea of who threw it. On the now opened up piece of paper were the words 'your prefect almost caught us last night, he keeps looking at us like we've let his owl loose into the wild or something' written in such a messy scrawl it could only really be one person.