Doubt

It had been such a long time since he felt this exhausted from work, even if it was only half a day’s worth. If Kao didn’t get there to help them, he would have no idea what he would have done. He would never forget the immense relief he felt when he saw the older standing by the counter in his suit, looking every bit as dapper as he did the night before. The command the Aide had over the situation was just what they all needed. He and Bosston made sure customer turnover was fast and organized, and Kao made the important decisions Earth couldn’t bring himself to make. If it weren’t for their help, the three guys would still probably be in the cafe, dog tired and feeling hopeless about the next day. Instead, the young man was home and getting much-needed rest. 

Earth was lying on his bed, his bangs tied with a small elastic, making a fountain of hair on the top of his head, his face covered in his new favorite facial mask. He was almost too tired for skin care, but he fought himself on it. Sleep wasn’t nearly enough to have good skin, he reminded himself.  

Fluke calling at the end of the day seemed so fitting. It was nice to unwind with his best friend. Usually, they faced things like this at work together, and Earth really felt his absence. It could have been that he was just overwhelmed at the day’s events, but he couldn’t stop himself from being emotional over being asked to be his Best Man at their wedding. The significance of it all was not lost on him, and he did his best to remain calm as he accepted the responsibility. He was so elated for his friend that he totally forgot to tell him about what happened with Kao that day: The way he swooped in and took charge, the way he kept stealing glances, the way the tone of his voice changed every time they talked… He couldn’t help but feel that he was becoming special to the older. Thinking about it made him smile.

It hadn’t been five minutes since the best friends last spoke, and already his phone was ringing again. Earth didn’t even bother to look at the number on the screen before picking up his phone to answer.

“You are so clingy, do you know that,” he says with his signature sass.

“Uh… Good evening, K’Earth. This is Kao… How are you?”

Earth sits up from his bed in a jolt. He was completely shocked at the familiar deep voice on the other end of the line and had to take a minute to collect himself. 

“Khun,” he says, flustered. “Sorry, I thought it was Fluke, I was just talking with him… Hello, how can I help you?”

“It’s alright,” the Aide says. A smile always comes across his face whenever he is anywhere near Earth. No matter how much he prepared himself, butterflies immediately overtook his tummy. It was cute to hear him so uncharacteristically shaken. “I’m calling about the suit fitting for tomorrow? Will you be able to join us? K’Sammy closed the cafe for now, hasn’t she?”

“Uh… Yes, but… Suit fitting? I don’t know… Am I really included? To be honest, I don’t think I can afford the Royal tailor and--”

“It’s paid for. You’re part of the entourage, so it’s paid for. No need to worry about that. All you need to do is show up. It’s at ten in the morning,” Kao says, warmly. 

“I see,” Earth replies, his heart pounding in his ears. “Uh, you can send me the address then.”

“No need… I can have a car pick you up. I would pick you up myself but I have to be with Prince Ohm and N’Fluke. What time should the service drop by for you?”

“O-Oh, Khun,” he says, not being able to hide the nervousness in his voice. Kao was doing one nice thing for him after another, and it was making the butterflies in his tummy go crazy. “Y-You really don’t have to do that. I can find my own way, I promise.”