Chapter Two - The Train Ride

GASP!!!! There's comotion everywhere in the crowd. Everyone is talking all at once, til the peacekeepers have to step in. If the crowd doesn't calm down it could mean trouble for members of District 7! Rule number 1: Never "defy" the Capitol. If you do anything that looks like you're trying to "defy" the Capitol, mostly meaning President Snow, he will make your life twice as miserable. Thats also not saying much.

I was still standing there in shock not knowing what just happened. Thinking to myself, Wait did she just call my name? Daphne was searching around for me. "Birch, Where are you? Oh come on now don't be shy." I slowly ambled my way to the stage as everyone made a path for me. How is this possible!? How could I be chosen for the Hunger Games!? The odds were supposed to be in my favour, right? So many thoughts are rushing through my head that I feel my brain could explode at any minute. I catch a quick glance at my father and mother and their expressions are horrifying. My mom's face was so blank as if she was in a trance. I'm sure she didn't expect this to happen. My father looks like he is about to break down and cry. I can't look in their direction anymore, or I will break down too.

As Daphne helps me up onto the stage, I see my sister in the crowd, and sure enough, she's crying. I know exactly what she is thinking right now too. She would've volunteered for me in a heartbeat. The slight probelm is that she is a girl. I can see the expressions on everyone, and they are just as confused as me. How can the two most prominent families in District 7, have their kids going off to the Hunger Games? It finally dawned on me that the odds were infact not in my favour.

"Well now isn't this just exciting everyone!?" Daphne is still talking in the ridiculous voice. There's silence through the crowd. I'm staring off into the crowd, my mind just slipping away. "Well go on now, shake each others hands." Is Daphne trying to put a show on for the Capitol, or is she just that perky all the time? I take a glance at Marietta who is already looking at me with a blank space. We don't shake hands because we're still in shock. "I hope you all have a grand day, and remember, Happy 72nd Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favour!" With the end of that, four peacekeepers lead Daphne, Marietta, and I into the Justice Building. I keep looking back at my family wishing I was with them. The doors than shut and I can't see them anymore. Who knows, I may never see them again.

Normally we would get 5 minutes with our family to say our goodbyes. However the rules changed 12 years ago when a boy's parent tried to sneak him out of the justice building. It didn't work out too well for any of them. The boy ended up dying in the bloodbath on the first day, and the parents punishment was one of the worst punishments ever. They were turned into Avox's. I cringe at the thought of not being able to talk ever again. So because of them we don't get to say goodbye to our families anymore.

Daphne pulled us aside and went through "orientation" with us. "Now the train will be arriving in thirty five minutes to transport us to the Capitol. By the way, if you didn't already know, this train is the fastest moving train in all of Panem. All thanks to District 6 and their knowledge and tools used for transportation. I know this situation is probably not what you wanted, and your stay isn't for long, but I would try to make the best of it while you can. Now once we arrive at the Capitol, they will immediately send you to the prep team and your stylist will take it from there. We will than be escorted to your rooms that you will be staying for the short while. Than there's the Interview's with Caesar Flickerman and the chariot ceremonies, OH and how could I forget the most important part of this journey? The training center, where you will show the Gamemakers your skills and try to get sponshorships.

I drowned Daphne out about half way through her talk, because my mind went other places. I know Daphne means well but her voice and how she treats this situation is starting to get annoying. She seems like another one of Snow's puppet. I still should be easy on her though. She's lived in Capitol her whole life so that's probably all she knows. How I long to be back in District 7, In my parents furniture store. With all the neighbors coming in to buy the furniture. I loved seeing my dad get happy when a customer comes in, and buys a table or chair, especially the rare items. Or the smell of the wood burning in the fireplace at home. Or even in the forest. With all of the birds chirping and the Mockingjay's singing. I wish to be high up in a tree so I can feel the wind through my face and hair. Then it occurs to me that I may never see District 7 again.