| Chapter 04

"A Pylon..." I whispered as she quickly turned her head and hurried away, darting behind a dropped tarp securing a stall. "A fuckin' Pylon..."

I weighed my options. Turning around and finding my way back was probably the best choice. And by best, I meant smart. But as I watched the tarp, unlatched and free, blow in the wind, I thought of the other option—meeting the Pylon.

I didn't have to get up close and personal, but I wanted to see more than just a glance. I wanted to see her, right there, in person.

Then, I would run away.

The idea of wanting to meet an alien overpowered the notion of simple, common sense, because the second I decided to try, I did.

I pushed off the ball of my feet and hurried in the direction she ran. My shoes skidded as I turned by the stall, its tarp hitting my face. To keep from falling, I caught the rope securing it and used it as an anchor. When I regained my footing, I pushed off it. And stopped.

Right outside the tarp was a dagger pointed directly in my face. Its point bumped against the tip of my nose, and quickly, I took one step back. I lifted my hands in defense. "Woah, woah, woah..."

The Pylon held the dagger, and she showed no signs of dropping it. She didn't tremble, either. Her hands were perfectly wrapped around the weapon's hilt, her head dipped to one side. Even with the cloak's hood over her face, I could see her eyes.

Stars. Beautiful, mesmerizing stars.

Pylons looked just like us humans, but their eyes were colored like a night sky. That was the main feature separating our two species. Our eyes were normal, recognizable. But theirs? Luminescent. Beautiful.

I couldn't help but stare at her.

"Why are you following me?" the Pylon asked. "Why are you here?"

I pulled my gaze away from her eyes to look at the dagger. She had pressed it closer, and it pricked my skin. Sucking in a breath, nearly cross-eyed, I said, "I uh..." I looked back at her. "Why are you here?"

She didn't move back. The weapon remained and so did she. "I asked you the question first."

"Okay." I gulped. "I'm here because I," think, Gus, "I wanted to see the Fair."

It wasn't entirely a lie, but I was awful at telling them. I thought if I strayed too far from the truth, she'd cut me right then. She'd leave my body for the seagulls and pigeons perched on top of the city's buildings.

"Liar."

Welp, she saw through me.

She turned the dagger as she lifted her head. "Tell me the truth or I'll cut you right here, right now."

Holding my breath, I looked her in the eye. I couldn't just escape. From what I heard, Pylons were just a little faster. Or a lot. And I wasn't much of a runner. If someone were to categorize speed between our two species, I would be a turtle next to her.

My only option was to stare my predator in the face and hope she would take pity on me, the prey.

"I...." I started to tell her the truth, wanting to just not die, but then it hit me. Like David, I never thought the Pylons were dangerous. Honestly, I believed they wanted nothing more than to help us, love us, the way history had always explained. Without a single hateful bone in her body, could she really attack me?

I dropped my hands.

She gripped the dagger a little tighter. "Tell me," she growled.

"Or what?" I bit my lip and took a step back, away from her weapon. "You won't kill me. You have no reason to."