The Escape

The sound of footsteps come closer, closer. The reminders of the shocks, the reminders of the medication. I hear their heartbeats; I can smell their blood. My vision goes red as they come ever closer. It's time for my medication again. I hear the key clicking and turning each notch in the lock. This has become my morning ritual. The door to my padded cell swung open and the same two scientists walk in. Mr. Smith and Ms. Thompson. Mr. Smith walked over to me and roughly grabbed my jaw. I tried to squirm away and whimpered in protest. He forced open my mouth and cautiously shoved the blood and sedative filled pill down my throat. Mr. Smith was never gentle to me and I always hoped if anyone else was a patient in this building, I'd be the only one treated like this. Mr. Smith moved away from me when he was sure the medication was in my system. The two scientists left my room right after. I had just started feeling the effects of the sedative as two security guards walked into the room and picked me up by my shoulders practically dragging me. They bring me out to the halls; the walls and halls were a sterile white. The numbing feeling soon spread to my entire body and I was greeted by darkness.

     My name is Alice Graf, this has been my life for the past ten years. I'm what others call a vampire, though if it wasn't for the need for blood to stay alive, the 'living in a creepy house' and the small resistance to death, id be called a night owl. I'm here at this asylum because they found out of my clan's existence, so they wanted to do testing on us to see what made vampires tick. They tried to take us in during the morning, ending up with me being the only one to survive. Leaving me as the only test subject.

     Sometimes I would snap out of the drug-induced haze, tied down to a surgery table. It seemed like forever before I was able to completely shake off the haze and take a good look around the room I was in. I was in my padded cell again so I checked over my body. I wanted to make sure they didn't leave any scars or cuts, thankfully they didn't. There seemed to be less and less activity going past my room. It must have been getting late. Perfect. In a few more minutes I would be able to make another attempt at escaping this damned place. The time ticked by before I managed to unlock the door. remembering where all the cameras were from my last attempt, I maneuvered my way through the sterile white halls and trying to avoid getting caught. The halls were quiet with only the sounds of the footsteps from the guards and the small taps from my bare feet. 

     I had come across a door that looked different from the rest. I had decided to venture inside. The door had lead to a set of stairs; they held a much different atmosphere than the clean rooms and the sterile walls. It was hard to see at first as there was no other light but what little the moon had illuminated. My eyes had adjusted more to the pale lighting and I could see that the walls were a warm and welcoming yellow, and the stairs had a dark carpet draped over it. I started to make my way down the stairs. It was so welcoming; it had reminded me of home.

     After what felt like hours, I had found the door that led outside only to hear an ear-piercing siren. My hair stood on end and if vampires could actually go paler, I sure as hell would have. The siren was soon followed by loud, running steps. Not waiting for anyone to stop me, I opened the door and ran for it. I went as fast as I could, running through the thick forest of oak trees.