Meeting a Witch

Time didn't seem to register as I kept running through the forest. I didn't want to stop running. Even though I knew I was far enough away from the asylum, I didn't want to give the chance to find me, to drag me back, to use me or kill me. The more I ran, the more the forest started to thin out. I started to pass less and less trees. Other than the trees, I wasn't paying much attention to my surroundings, so I collided with a being. I had knocked both of us over and in my panic, I scurried up to my feet frantically. I started apologizing and was in shock when they stopped me.

     "There is no need to apologize sweetheart." The person smiled slightly at me. They were a tall woman, she was at least a head taller than me. She had long brown hair and some of her hair covered one of her eyes. Her uncovered eye was a hazel color and the covered one seemed to be a really light blue. She got up and brushed off her clothes. "There's no need to apologize. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings. My names Willow Rosenburg. What's your name child." Her eye sparkled with curiosity. A silence fell between us for a moment as I tried to figure out her intent. She didn't seem too malicious but I still tried to keep my distance. 

     "My n name is A Alice Graf" I stuttered out and kept my hands close to my chest. I'll be honest I was afraid at that moment. Every time I had met a human, they had been so mean and cruel to me. I was afraid she would be the same as the others. Mean, cruel and rough.

    She let out a small giggle "what are you doing so far out of the city Alice, especially this late at night?" I got more nervous. What was I supposed to tell her? I couldn't tell her that I used to be trapped in a malpractice asylum so I fled so I wouldn't be a test subject anymore. I fiddled with my hands, desperately trying to gather together what I wanted to say. I assumed I was quiet for too long as she had spoken up. "It's okay sweetheart. You don't have to tell me if you chose not to. Do you have a place to stay? If you do I can bring you to where ever you need to go I this forest's reach." 

    I pursed my lips into a frown and shook my head as my body trembled. "I actually have a place to stay currently..." Willow seemed shocked, staring at me with wide eyes. So I looked down trying to avoid eye contact at that moment. This was very uncomfortable for me, and possibly for her too. "B but that's okay. I'm trying to find a place. I I just got a bit lost is all." 

    She started giggling again. She then grabbed my hands causing me to jump. "Honey, if you need a place to stay, I have a place not that far. I'll be more than happy to let you stay." She was beaming with energy, it was crazy. Willow had taken me by surprise, she was being nice to me? this was an odd feeling to me. I felt a small smile tug at my lips. The feeling was enjoyable, even if it did end up being momentary. Apart from me didn't want to go with her, but I knew she was less capable of harm than those at the asylum. 

     I slowly give her a small nod, deciding to go with her. She had given me a wide smile and gently squeezed my hands. She seemed so happy that I accepted her offer and was beaming with excitement. Her blood pretty much reeked of sweetness. "I'll lead the way the sweetheart, just stay close to me. The forest likes to trick people into getting people even more lost." She then let go of my hands and started to lead me through the forest.

     I grew concerned and confused by her comment. "what do you mean? The forest tricks people?" She smiled and turned to me. 

     "Yes. The creatures here are tricksters in themselves but the forest doesn't like outsiders much. quite a lot of people go missing from trying to travel through this forest. Usually, it will bring the good souls to me if they need my help, if they have malice in them, they would be sent on a bit of a trip." Willow smiled softly at me. "I'm not too worried about them taking you astray. I can tell that your quite the sweet girl, no matter what you've been through." I gave her a small smile hearing what she had to say. I stuck close to her like she had told me to so I wouldn't lose her. My mind started to drift as I started to gain more questions. 

     "How come you don't get lost? I I mean I get that you live here but uh... how come they don't trick you?" She took a moment to respond as if she was thinking about her next words before she spoke. 

     "I use to come to the edge of the forest a lot when I was a kid with my grandmother. She was considered to be a witch and she had taught me about everything she knows, so over time I was outcasted here and grew even more of a connection with the forest and the creatures within it." She seemed quite nervous about talking about it. I could tell there had to be more to her story but I didn't want to make her too nervous.

     "So... you're a witch? If so, that's really cool. I've never met a witch before."