Year 1: Chapter 13: Explanations

McGonagall and Snape escorted Adelaide through the corridors and to Dumbledore's office. On the way, they passed a group of Aurors headed in the opposite direction. The trio entered the room, where Dumbledore was waiting for them.

"Ah, Adelaide, there you are," Dumbledore said as a way of greeting. "The Aurors have given me the updated story about the incident. They wanted to take your statement, but I relayed what you told me."

Adelaide only nodded.

"Please, sit, and let me explain," Dumbledore continued.

Adelaide nodded and sat in a chair that had been placed across from the Headmaster. She was no longer fake crying, but she kept her face solemn, painting a perfect picture of sadness. 

"As I told you before, it is believed that a group of Death Eaters attacked your home," he explained. "Nobody is sure why, however. We could find no traces of relations to them or their cause other than the fact that your mother was a Pureblood who married a Muggle."

"But why would they come to my home?" Adelaide asked. "There are so many families like mine."

"I understand, child. It is likely that we will never know. What we do know, however, is that we need to worry about your safety. The Ministry has suggested that you are kept within the castle for the remainder of the school year."

"And after? I no longer have a home."

"That is up to the Ministry. I will keep you updated on that. For now, though, it is imperative that we keep an eye on you. Your professors will help with that."

"Adelaide, we know that you are grieving," McGonagall started. "If you wish, we will excuse you from your classes until you feel prepared enough to return."

"I appreciate it," Adelaide replied, "but I will resume my studies after the holiday. It was my mother's dream that I would become a great witch. I wish to fulfill it for her."

They all nodded, and Professor McGonagall turned away, likely wiping a tear away.

"What is to become of my old home?" Adelaide asked.

"The Ministry has taken possession of it, since you are too young to inherit it and it was not left to anyone," Dumbledore replied. "What happens beyond that is not something that we can predict."

"And where will my family be buried?"

"Wherever you wish for them to be. 

"I would like them buried at the cemetery in my hometown. Next to my mother's parents."

"Good. We will schedule the funeral."

"I have no way to pay."

"The Ministry has agreed to cover the cost. You do understand that I cannot let you attend the funeral unless it is on Hogwarts grounds, correct?"

"I understand. I will say my goodbyes here."

"Very well."

Adelaide faked a small, thankful smile. She did not want to see her family again. She did not want to raise the emotions that she had buried deep inside of her. And she certainly did not want to taint Hogwarts by burying her family within its borders. Even her mother was not worthy of that honor.

"Well, if you do not have any further questions, I think you should get some rest. Professor Snape will see that you get to your dormitory."

"Thank you, Professors," Adelaide said, rising from the chair and moving toward the door. 

"Of course," Dumbledore replied.

"If you need anything, do not hesitate to ask," McGonagall added.

Adelaide simply nodded before turning and walking through the door, Snape following closely behind her. They barely spoke the entire way back to the dormitories. Only when they were in the common room and Snape had checked to see that they were alone did he speak. 

"Congratulations on fooling the Ministry," he said in a low voice, "but if this keeps happening, they will grow increasingly suspicious of you. You must learn control. It will come easier with age, but you need training. Professor Quirrell and I will help as best we can, but I need you to promise that you'll control yourself in the meantime."

"I will, we just have to start early," Adelaide promised. "When Malfoy comes back, my energy will have to be focused on my acting and not my anger management."

"I will do what I can," Snape told her as he left the common room.