Part 7

Once Niva and Noah were fed and settled into bed I walked to the kitchen to begin the dishes with Nathaniel trailing behind me like he's been doing since we left my parents home earlier today. I ignored him as I started loading up the dishwasher, banging plates in and slamming the lid closed. Every muscle screamed in agony. The affects of the rumble today kicking in, wincing at the loud bang. I glanced towards the hallway where the kids slept, pausing to listen out if I had woken them up.

Nathaniel hissed.

"Magaia (Nice). Why don't you bang louder. I don't think the kid's heard you."

I glared at him out of my one good eye. My left eye sealed shut by a beautiful shiner. Whispering in an angry tone,

"Oh you want to be a funny joker do you? Me and you are over! When the kids wake up we're out."

Nathaniel towered over me furious, whispering back angrily. 

"Like hell we are. You want me to say sorry for jumping the gun then no I'm not sorry. I took your sister's word because hell why would a sister make up a lie like that about her own kin? Had I known the kind of person she was I never would have believed her. Am I sorry I beat an innocent man? Yes. Do I regret the way I reacted? f#$% NO. But let me remind you that you weren't so eager to deny the accusations"

"Because I was stunned you would believe her. What you did was unforgivable! You shamed me in front of my whole church"

"Do you go to loku (church) to get other's approval? Who gives a damn what those gossiping people say. I acted out of jealousy and pure Love. God will forgive me."

"You dense man! It's more than that, you didn't give me a chance to explain or hear me out. You judged me as guilty without so much as a trial. I hate you!"

Throughout our whispered argument Nathaniel wore a look of stubbornness. But my last words seemed like I had just slapped him in the face. He stepped away running his hand through his hair looking suddenly exhausted.

I didn't mean what I said but I was so mad I refused to take it back.

"You know there's a saying that goes be careful what you say because once the words leave your mouth, they can never be unspoken. Stay here with the kids. I'll give you the space you need and sleep elsewhere."

He walked out of the house without his house keys or car keys. I knew he'd be back later that night. 

But then two weeks had past with no word from Nathaniel. I begun to think he not only walked out of the house but out of my life. I was devastated...

Every night the kids would ask for Nathaniel, and every night I’d say the same thing.

"Nathaniel’s visiting his family, but he’ll be back before you know it."

I started sounding like a broken record, and by the end of the second week, even I wasn’t so sure he’d be coming back. Was I too harsh? Did I push him too far, and if so how was I going to get him back? I tried calling his cellphone, but no answer. I tried texting..No reply. By Sunday night I was ready to bottle him. How could he leave us alone like this? Stupid man shouldn’t have thrown a sook and walked out like that. The kids missed him.. and I missed him too.

That night I prayed. I asked God to watch over my little family, to watch over Nathaniel where ever he was, and prayed for answers on how I was going to get through this. I needed to put my family back together, and I knew it wouldn’t be complete without Nathaniel.

The next day I woke up with one purpose and one purpose only. I was going to go looking for Nathaniel, and I was going to bring him home. That morning I woke the kids up extra early, fixed them breakfast, and gave them a run down of their day’s itinerary.

"Ok babies, Aunty Ria is going to be picking you both up and you’re going to spend the day with her."

"Yaaaay! What bout you mummy?"

"Mummy has something important to do, but Aunty Ria’s going to take heaps of photos of the both of you and I’ll be ready to see them when you get back."

Ria arrived half an hour later. Only she had caught the flu so I sent her straight to bed.

Like clock work I made dinner, fed my kids and put them to bed. Then I sat on the kitchen table and waited. Coffee after coffee I waited. Hoping he would walk through those doors so I could run into the comfort of his arms. 

But after 2 weeks of the same routine, every night I finally grew weary and came to the conclusion that he wasn't coming back. I needed to get out of this house. His house. 

While the kids slept I packed our bags, praying to God that I was making the right decision for me and my kids. We couldn't keep him away from his own home. Where was he sleeping? Who was he with? 

I shook my head bringing me back from my inner thoughts. It doesn't matter. As I packed I felt tears rolling down my cheek. Taking a deep breath in I wiped my tears. Be strong, if not for you then for Niva and Noah

"Mama! Mama! Wake up." Niva cried

"Mama where are we going?" Noah asked looking confused.

I had been so tired that I must of fell asleep while packing our bags. I turned to my babies and smiled. 

"Nowhere bud, not yet anyway. Come let's go eat breakfast."

I made my mind up I was going to go and find my man and drag him back home whether he came willingly or kicking and screaming....