QUIDDITCH TRYOUTS

josephine lupin-black

As the month changed to October and it neared closer to my birthday I began to notice the quidditch tryout fliers around the school.

"Should I try out?" I asked Hermione as we walked down the hall to the courtyard, a tryouts poster on the wall.

"Oh yes!" she said excitedly. "The twins are both beaters, and Ginny is a chaser. Harry's the seeker, as I'm sure you know."

I laughed. "Oh trust me, the stories he tell me are wicked. He caught his first snitch in his mouth! Does he ever get a break?"

She shook her head with a small giggle. "He will never get a break, I'm afraid."

We walked over to the tall piece of parchment on the wall for the Gryffindor team. I quickly pulled out my phoenix-feather quill and signed my name neatly.

"Alright, lets go find those bloody idiots and see if their still alive."

We walked onto the stone patio of the courtyard, where Ron and Harry stood admiring their brooms.

"My firebolt is the best thing ever gifted to me!" Harry yelled. "Thank god for Snuffles."

"I'm so happy mum got me the Cleansweep!" Ron stated proudly. "She was so proud of me getting Prefect."

Hermione and I rolled our eyes as we approached them.

"Joey! Hermione! Hi!" Ron yelled happily.

"Dear Merlin, Ron, we are right here, no need to yell," I mumbled.

"Why are you two so happy?!" Hermione asked. "...what did you do?"

Harry looked down. "Well we may have mouthed off to Umbridge about not using magic-" he whispered.

Hermione took a deep breath to keep from
biting their heads off. "How much detention did you get?"

Ron fiddled with his thumbs. "Maybe a uh...about a months worth-"

"RON!" Hermione screeched. "ARE YOU BLOODY SERIOUS?!"

I held back a laugh. "You two are blubbering idiots," I pointed at Ron and Harry. "Well anyways, I'm trying out for the quidditch team."

"What position?" Ron asked, smiling.

"I'm thinking maybe Chaser."

"You'll do great at that," Harry smiled, taking his eyes off of Hermione who was muttering curses under her breath about having to do their homework for them now.

"Alright well I have to go get ready for potions," I smiled. "Guess I'll see you at tryouts."

I walked down to the dungeons and took my seat at the back of Snape's class. He didn't recognize me, which kind of hurt my feelings, for some reason. Bellatrix gave me up when I was a newborn, he probably didn't even know she was pregnant.

The class dragged on for a total of one and a half hours. I walked as fast as possible from the dungeons up to the courtyard where Harry stood waiting to take me to tryouts.

"So you want to be a Chaser?" Angelina asked as I stood in my red and yellow robes.

I nodded.

"Do you have any experience?"

"Not really," I shook my head. "My dad says I have a really good throw, though."

"Which one?" I heard someone behind me snicker with his friends.

I spun around and looked at the source of the talking; Draco Malfoy.

"What are you doing here, Malfoy?" Ginny demanded, crossing her arms over her chest.

He scoffed in response, running his hand through his platinum hair. "I'm a Prefect, you filthy little blood-traitor. I was ordered to watch your practice by Professor Umbridge."

I glanced back at Fred and George and rolled
my eyes.

There was a moment of silence before Ginny finally spoke up. "Well then, let's get started, shall we?"

I grabbed a broom and walked over to the circle. Ginny, Angelina, and I took off into the sky along with Cormac McLaggen, Harry, and the twins.

We passed the quaffle back and forth, and threw it through the rings. We managed to get it past McLaggen every time, so either we were really good, or he was really bad.

"You did really good!" Angelina reassured me, patting me on the shoulder.

I smiled. "Thank you."

Ginny walked over to me, throwing her arm around my shoulder as we walked across the grounds to the oak entrance doors, the sun setting over the black lake in a sea of red, pink, and orange.

"Was I actually good?" I asked. "Because my arm is KILLING me."

Ginny nodded. "You were amazing! McLaggen's been the best Keeper we've had since Oliver, so you did well!"

I threw my leg over the bench, sitting down next to Ron. The twins and Harry joined shortly after.

George leaned forward on his elbows, like he normally does when he wants to ask someone something. "So, Joey, Freddie and I are going into Hogsmede tomorrow and we were wondering if you'd like to come with us to The Three Broomsticks?"

I nodded. "Sure, I'll meet you at Hagrid's if that sounds good?"

"Of course."

Dinner was soon dismissed and we headed off to the commons. I pulled on my pajamas quickly. I was alone for now, trying to figure out where Ginny and Hermione had gone.

I stood in the mirror as I tugged on my tank top and tied the drawstring of my sleep pants.

There was a knock on the door and I swiftly walked over to it, pulling the heavy door open.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Ginny and I are heading to the boys's dorm, if you'd like to come?"

"Yeah, just let me get a jacket."

I grabbed a matching grey cardigan out of my wardrobe and tugged it on as we walked through the halls to the boys side.

We knocked on the door, and it opened revealing Harry, Ron, and the twins.

"Oh, so it's a party?" I smirked sitting down. "Count me in."