The Flashback

"Kaito, where is Shuichi? You said he would be here." Maki asks with a monotone but with a hint of annoyance behind her voice.

Kaito, snapping out of his own little world gave a big grin to which he replied, "Oh right, Shuichi just texted me, he's on a date with Kaede tonight."

Maki gave him a side glare, alarmed by the sudden cancellation of their hangout. "And you didn't tell me?"

"I thought you noticed? You are an assassin after all."

"What does that have to do with me being an assassin?"

The Space Boy looked at the stars for a moment then returned his gaze to her eyes.

"You have great instincts and reflexes, don't you? You should have noticed him text me a few minutes ago."

Maki was confused cause he was right. She should have noticed it. But why didn't she when they were right beside each other? She should have hear—

Kaito tilted his head in confusion as a red shade started to creep up to Maki's face and ears.

"Hey Makiroll, you okay? You seem to have a fever or somethi—"

Reaching for Maki's forehead, she swatted the hand away in embarrassment to which Kaito chuckled.

Kaito decided out of nowhere to go stargazing tonight (since they usually only train together). Of course, it had meant for him to wake Maki up in the middle of the night, angrily resisting his whining. Finally, she gave in and went out of the dorms.

For the past few months after they met, it wasn't uncommon for Maki to give in to Kaito. After all, his stubborn and stupid character is what made her agree on almost ANYTHING Kaito asks. since she knows he would keep on forcing her to come with.

Even if she'd threaten him.

Besides his stupidity and cluelessness, he is also very stubborn, charismatic, energetic, passionate, trustworthy, and a person with a wild and great imagination. A lot of times, he can often act childish. Unlike Maki, he is able to control his anger (though he loses his temper, due to a certain short purpled liar) which makes him easy to get along with.

Out of everyone Maki has ever met in her bloody life, that idiot stood out the most among the crowd. Emotionally Strong yet physically weak, kind but easy to fool, passionate but easy to crush.

When you do something awful, you just need to apologize and BAM, "forgive and forget" as they say. This type of Kaito's personality is easily taken advantage of, which makes Maki worry about him a lot.

Maki smiles mentally inside her head as she remembered how this idiot tried to make friends with her (in to which he succeeded)

The assassin had never been shocked in her entire life, how a walking target, could be her next one would try to approach her. At first, she declined his offer and assumed he would stop.

But of course, being the idiot he is had to annoy her 24/7 just to get her trust and friendship.

Their training always involved 3 people until  Shuichi started dating during their 2nd year. Kaito teased Shuichi almost every day hearing the news. With this, he insisted on both of them to focus on their relationship and not getting preoccupied. Shuichi insisted on still joining them (so did Kaede) but Kaito didn't like the idea of being the third wheel so he just told Shuichi to come when he is free.

While they get all lovely dovey, Maki and Kaito would be stargazing. Kaito loves talking about the stars and Maki secretly enjoys his pep talks. She loves how Kaito would talk about the space with passion and glistening stars in his eyes, she loves how he would point at each star in the lovely night sky by heart.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Flashback)

"And those are my favorite stars! What do you think Makiro-"  Kaito's voice gets softer as the girl beside her catches his attention. He watches her staring at the stars with the same passion and stars in her eyes. The bright night sky reflected her perfect features flawlessly from her hair to her eyes, she was shining.

"If Maki never told me she was an assassin, I would have thought she was a fallen star from the sky." he thought.

Kaito turned away from her face, flushed and confused. He initially cursed himself for thinking that and found himself laughing it off.

"Why are you laughing?" Kaito winced a bit before turning to face Maki with a wide and forced grin. "It's nothing, just remembered something funny! Haha!" He was hiding something and Maki noticed it, but she brushed it off.

It's no point in getting it out of him since he would just make an excuse or lie about it. The space boy returned to his thoughts for a moment, trying to answer the burning feeling inside his stomach. Am I hungry? But I don't feel like eating. I feel rather full...

Seeing Maki just now made Kaito feel funny in his stomach. Okay, I'm definitely not hungry, but why does my stomach feel funny? And why is my heart having a heart attack? Am I sick?

Am I? In love?

A smile crept onto his face. That conclusion made him happy and nervous at the same time. It was it, he fell for the sarcastic yet beautiful and kind assassin. Whilst he didn't care about her past, what worried him was the thought of it being one-sided.

Was he really that dense that he only realized it now?

"Psst, earth to space idiot." A hand waved side to side in front of Kaito's face. Kaito flinches slightly, his head turning to Maki asking if he's okay.

He gave her a reassuring nod though it wasn't very reassuring from Maki's point of view. But she knew not to press any further.

"If you say so, anyway I have to go back inside. You should go too, much stargazing will make you less energetic and more worn out tomorrow morning." She stood up to brush the dirt off her skirt and looked at him. He returns her gaze.

"I'll go to bed after a few more minutes. Night Makiroll" he blazed his grin to her as Maki give him a doubtful look but still trusted his words. When she went inside the dormitory, Kaito looked back at the stars while feeling his heartbeat. It was beating a melody he had never heard before and somehow, it was amazing. He chuckles at his thoughts "Looks like this Luminary of the Stars has fallen huh?"

After an hour of collecting his thoughts, he returns to his dorm and tries to sleep. But before he visits the dream realm, he takes one more look at the window beside him to look at the stars which sang him a silent lullaby to see as his last thoughts were.

And who would have thought I fell for the most beautiful star that existed

A/N

-AAAAH!! Modules go brrrr, my first ever Kaimaki fanfic :') While this is a short chapter, I wanted to give justice to the shortness of kaimaki fanfics, so there it is!! Anyways, apologies in advance if I make any grammar or spelling mistakes since English is my 2nd language while Cebuano is my 1st. I hope you enjoy the one-shot and see you soon!! BYE-ONARA

Cross post with AO3
Edit: Hello there everyone, had to fix grammar mistakes here and there while I continue this series.