Chapter six

Lauren and Camila run into the room, out of breath and soaked. They run through the revolving door when Camila sees Mr. Andrews standing in front of the fireplace, his lifebelt off, lying on a table.

"Won't you even make a try for it, Mr. Andrews?"

"I'm sorry that I didn't build you a stronger ship, young Camila." A tear rolls down the his cheek.

"It's going fast, Camz. We've got to keep moving."

Andrews picks up his lifebelt and hands it to her. "Good luck to you, Camila."

She hugs him quickly. "And to you, Mr. Andrews."

Lauren pulls her away and they run through the door.

Shawn sat next to the screaming child, whom he had completely forgotten about. He watches the water rising around the men as they work, scrambling to get the ropes cut so the ship won't drag the collapsible under.

Dinah gently removes the lifebelt from Normani's body and struggles to put it on as the water rises around her.

The lifeboat is hit by a wave as the bow plunges suddenly. It partially swamps the boat, washing it along the deck.

Over a hundred passengers are plunged into the freezing water and the area around the boat becomes a frenzy of splashing, screaming people.

As men are trying to climb into the callapsible, Shawn grabs an oar and pushes them back into the water. "Get back! You'll swamp us!"

Dinah, swimming for her life, gets swirled under a davit. The ropes and pulleys tangle around her as the davit goes under the water, and she is dragged down. Underwater she struggles to free herself, and then kicks back to the surface. She surfaces, gasping for air in the freezing water.

The water rolls rapidly up the deck toward.

Lauren and Camila run out of the palm court into a dense crowd. Lauren pushes her way to the rail and looks at the state of the ship. The bridge is under water and there is chaos on deck. She helps Camila put her lifebelt on. People stream around them, shouting and pushing.

"Okay... we need to keep moving. We have to stay on the ship for as long as possible." They push their way through the panicking crowd.

The lifeboat is whirled like a leaf in the currents around the sinking ship. It slams against the side of the forward funnel.

"Row! Row you bastards!!" Shawn screams to the crew in the boat.

Nearby Dinah is pushed up against the opening of a vent as water pours through it. The force of the tons of water roaring down the ship traps her against it, and she is dragged down under the surface as the ship sinks. She struggles to free herself but she can't.

Suddenly there is a concussion deep in the bowels of the ship as a furnace explodes and a blast of hot air belches out of the ventilator, ejecting Dinah. She surfaces in a roar of foam and keeps swimming.

Lauren and Camila clamber over the A-Deck rail. Then, using all her strength, Lauren lowers Camila toward the deck below, holding on with one hand. She dangles, then falls. Lauren jumps down behind her.

They join a bunch of people literally clawing and scrambling over each other to get down the narrow stairs to the well deck. the only way up.

Seeing that the stairs are impossible, Lauren climbs over the B-Deck railing and helps Camila over, lowering her again, and she falls in a heap. A man helps her to her feet as Lauren drops down and the three of them push through the crowd across the well deck. Near them, at the rail, people are jumping into the water.