- prologue

✦*.·:·.✧𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐃𝐀𝐖𝐍 𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐈𝐋 𝐃𝐔𝐒𝐊✧.·:·.*✦

𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

She ran as fast as her feet would carry her. The victorian laced boots and the long brown skirt she wore were not made to move through the woodlands' undergrowth and tree roots. Even with the challenges, she still picked up her skirt and ran like hell anyway. Her breath came out in short puffs with a burning sensation in her lungs as they worked in overdrive, heart thumping against her chest as fast as a hummingbird. Her limbs were tired and her muscles sore, and the heels of her feet ached, but she needed to run. Keep running, keep going.

There was a voice - no voices echoing through the trees, whipping past the leaves that began to rustle in its wake. They echo in between the branches above with a strong force and down below on the woodland floor. All while the woman's feet stamped hard against the ground. A quick glance over her shoulder only put her at risk as she ran. The only thing in her sight was the endless darkness between the trees the deeper she got into the woods. The moment only lasts a second or two before she refocuses on what is in front of her.

A small clearing began to appear; she was more than happy to see something other than darkness. The moon's light flashed between the tree branches and limbs' gaps, but there were so many that the light didn't reach too far in. This clearing was the most light she has seen so far in the woodlands. It was like a spotlight casting down, drawing and directing all the attention on this one spot, and like any other, Ruby was drawn to it like a siren's call. A beautiful cool, and silvery color, so beautiful and irresistible before the impending doom. She made it to the clearing, the only open space surrounded by trees - which seems like her superior protection right now. She couldn't see in between the large trunks or past the darkness and shadows that denied her eyes access. Ruby wasn't defenseless; the only thing the girl had to defend herself was the magic tingling at the tips of her fingers. There was him too, but she lost him before she took off into the woods.

Her head whips from left to right, then she spun and lets her eyes searched all around. The voices behind her while she ran had followed her toward the clearing. They were growing louder. She moved her hands at her side, lifting them, ready to ward off the first offender willing to strike. Then a loud snap went off somewhere behind her and grabbed her attention straight away as she held her hands out in that general direction. The Latin words of a pain-inflicting spell sat at the tip of her tongue. As the person or persons inched closer, her body reacted on impulse as the words began to shoot out of her mouth like the fingers of a news reporter typing up the day's paper on short notice. A gust of wind passed her suddenly, arms wrapped around her while a hand fell over her mouth, stopping any noise from escaping. The woman grabbed at the penetrator's arms around her torso, trying to tear them loose, but their hold was just too strong, so she went for the hand next.