Chapter 2: Sadie

“Steve?” I asked hesitantly. He had just gotten back from a mission, and he looked like hell. He tried to walk past me to go to Fury’s office, but I stopped him. “Steve.”

He still didn’t look at me, and I knew this mission didn’t go as planned. “Sadie.” He said my name with so much anger that I was taken back. 

“Will you tell me what’s wrong? You know I only want to help.” In all the time I’ve known Steve, I don’t think I’ve seen him this angry. 

He sighed, directing his glare to the floor. “Can I go see Fury? I’ll tell you all about it when we get home.” 

It was my turn to sigh, but I released his arm. “Sounds like you’re brushing me off. Sure you can’t tell me sooner?” 

He didn’t reply, walking past me and into Fury’s office. “Dammit Steve,” I muttered before turning and heading towards the garage, trying not to worry about Steve. 

“Agent Cain!” I hear from behind me, and I stop. Shit. Twenty more steps and I would have been fine.

“Secretary Pierce. How can I help you, Sir?” I ask, plastering on my most convincing smile. I never liked Pierce, and his insistence with Project Insight did not help his case. 

“I was wondering if you knew anything about why Captain Rogers looked so upset just now. I was heading towards Council when I saw him go past.” 

I shrugged, considering how much to tell him. I didn’t know much, but it’s not like I can just say whatever I think. “I’m not sure. I think everything is fine though. Probably just a mission went bad.” And with that, I walk away, silently hoping that my words are true. 

I almost made it to my car when someone starts walking beside me. 

“Hiding in the vents again, Agent Barton?” 

“Just making sure you’re safe.” I chuckled. It turns out that I’m not the only suspicious one around here. His habit of hiding in the vents was no secret, but it made me feel better knowing that he was looking out for me. 

“Well I appreciate the sentiment, but I can take care of myself.” 

“I know. Just be careful though.” He slipped a piece of paper into my hand as we got to my car. I knew better than to draw attention to it, so I shoved it in my pocket, pretending to get my keys. 

“I will. Thanks, Clint.” He nodded as I got in the car, shoving his hands in his pockets. 

“Tell Steve that Stark wants to see him later, will ya?” He asked before I closed the door. I knew what he meant. Show Steve the paper. This time it was my turn to nod before I closed the door and started the car. 

I just barely made it to the front of the building when Steve came out, looking like he didn’t get what he wanted from that meeting with Fury. I pulled up in front of him, startling the supersoldier. 

“Hey. Get in. We have a lot to talk about.” I said, unlocking his door as he rounded the car, looking around warily. 

I took off as soon as he was settled, trying to put as much distance between us and SHIELD as possible before we had to go back to his apartment. 

“How was work today?” I asked, trying to keep the conversation as normal as possible. “Bad mission?” 

He ran a hand down his face before he looked around the car. No doubt looking for bugs. He knew something I didn’t, and if I wanted anything from him, it wasn’t going to be easy. 

Once he was done inspecting the car, he looked at me, and I shifted in my seat, suddenly uncomfortable. He has never looked at me like that, and I’m concerned with its meaning. “What do you know about Project Insight?” He asked, and I narrowed my eyes. 

“Insight? Isn’t that the new project STRIKE is going to be put on? Something about killer Helicarriers I think. Why?” He hesitated. 

“Our mission was to rescue hostages. Romanoff was supposed to secure the engine room, but she had a different mission than us and no one told me. I told Fury about it, trying to get it through his head that I can’t lead a team if they’re not working with me. Then he told me about Insight.” He paused, looking away for a moment before turning back to me, his gaze softer. “Something’s wrong, Sadie. SHIELD is supposed to be protecting people, but now it’s like they don’t know the difference between protection and destruction anymore.” 

I didn’t respond, digging out the paper Clint gave me, slipping it to him without saying anything. He took it but didn’t put it away, slipping his hand into mine. It was a welcome feeling. We didn’t get to spend much time together, so I reveled in the time we had. 

“We’re going to be OK, Steve. I promise.”  He just nodded, tightening his grip on my hand. 

If only I could make myself believe that.