Chapter 24

I'm not even joking, Phoebe is mentally stabbing me with a fork.

Right now she's standing in the hallway outside my hotel room, and I'm seriously considering screaming for help. I'd expected Caitlin with my Tylenol, but instead had opened the door to my walking nightmare. She looks the part, too; she's still in her pajamas, a tank top and her Pink sweatpants from the plane. Her arms are still covered with Sharpie signatures and her makeup is smudged from yesterday, making her eyes dark and frightening.

A cold shiver runs through my body as Phoebe suddenly bursts into the room, slamming the door shut behind her. I press against the wall as she storms past me into the bedroom. I feel like I'm in a horror movie; first the psychopath closes the door, and the victim's locked inside with them, and the torture begins...

"WHEN were you going to tell me about this?!" she sneers, turning to stare me down. There's a crazed, rancid look in her blue eyes, which look three shades darker than normal. It seems so impossible that such a pretty girl can look so angry. She gets closer and I'm pressed to the wall, feeling trapped. She crosses her arms and waits for my answer, shooting daggers with her eyes.

"T-tell you about w-what?" I stutter, trying not to make eye contact. I hate myself for my shaking voice, but I'm so terrified right now that I can't help it.

"Don't play stupid with me," she spits out. I can practically feel the heat radiating from her temple. "You KNOW that you went to lunch with Eleanor and the boys today. So WHEN were you gonna invite me?!"

Never. But I can't tell her that, unless I want to end up being thrown out the window.

"Look, it wasn't my call," I whimper. "They invited Caitlin and I last night, they didn't mention you-"

"LIAR!" Phoebe shouts, making me jump. I slide out from the cramped space between her and the wall. I go to sit on the bed, but there's no escape from Phoebe's death glare. Her conversation is long from over.

"I KNOW they told you to invite me," she growls, stepping closer with every word. "I KNOW you were supposed to invite me, and you didn't, because you wanted those freaking guys all to yourself!!"

"That's not true," I say as calmly as possible, regaining my voice. "They invited me and Caitlin, no one else."

"I. Don't. Believe you." Phoebe whips out her iPhone and shoves it in my face. The Sugarscape article is open, and the picture of Harry leading me into the cafe is blown up. "Care to explain this?!"

I feel like barfing up my coffee. I know the picture pisses Phoebe off, because it's so evident that she likes Harry. This is exactly what I was afraid of...

"He's just opening the door for me," I whisper. "Nothing more."

"Shut up," Phoebe sneers before jamming her phone back into her pocket. I sit back on the bed and she stands tall over me, peering down onto me. I can hear my own heartbeat rapidly beating. Her next words are cold and eerie:

"Nina. I thought I told you yesterday to stay away from them..."

I gulp and make the mistake of looking up into her eyes. "I heard you," I say simply, watching her dark eyes search mine.

"THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU?!" she shouts, making me wince and squeeze my eyes shut. Maybe it's a bad dream. Maybe if I stay in this darkness she'll go away...

"GOD, Nina, I TOLD you to stay away from Harry! He. Doesn't. Like. You."

She's just taking, Caitlin had said. She can't really do anything...

"And then at the campfire! Literally just hours after I told you to stay away! You drag him over to that tree and throw yourself against him?! What kind of desperate little slut are you?!"