Chapter 4: fifth year

"Tut, tut, really Potter, you're not as strong as people say you are. The Mudblood is Stunned, and there's nothing you can really do about it, is there?"

"Expelliarmus!" said James, his wand pointing straight at Voldemort.

Voldemort's wand came soaring to him, and he caught it along with his own, triumphant.

"Don't get too confident, Potter. I know more about the Dark Arts than any other Dark wizard that's ever walked this world..."

"Unfortunately, Voldemort, I hate the Dark Arts. It's all evil."

"Avada Kedavra!"

James missed the Killing Curse by a few inches. His heart was pounding endlessly, and he could barely catch his breath.

"Enervate," he whispered, pointing his wand at Lily.

Lily stirred feebly and got up to her feet, staring. Then she finally realised where she was and let out a high-pitched wail that sent Voldemort screaming.

"Shut UP, you stupid Mudblood!" he shrieked.

"You won't get James nor I, Voldemort," she said, quite calmly. "No matter how hard you try."

He laughed. "Ah, but the Dark Lord will get you, Evans, no matter how hard it takes. I won't let you or your son stop my reign of terror."

"You—" But before she could finish, he vanished.

"How did he get to Hogwarts?" said James. "I mean, you can't Apparate or Disapparate on school grounds."

"I'm glad you read Hogwarts, A History, Potter," said Lily dryly. "But then again, he is a Dark wizard, and he has his ways."

"Evil git," mumbled James, and they started to head off to Dumbledore's office.

"Er—you do know the password, right, Potter?" asked Lily, as they stepped in front of the stone gargoyle.

"Come off it! You're the genius in this school, I thought you knew!"

"Oh, sod off. Let's see...Peppermint Humbugs."

James gave her a strange look.

"Stop staring, Potter, and help me."

"All right! Er—Pepper Imps?"

The gargoyle came to life and jumped aside. They entered Dumbledore's office and felt the same warm and cosy feeling as they sat down nervously. Dumbledore smiled at them from his large desk.

"Professor, Voldemort attacked us in the Astronomy Tower," said James quickly.

Dumbledore looked grave. "Has he attempted to kill you?"

"Yes, sir, and he almost did. And he Stunned Lily, too."

"I wasn't hurt too badly," said Lily hastily. "I mean, James revived me again..."

No one seemed to notice the pink tinge that appeared on her cheeks when she said this.

"I see. Well, I am very sorry to tell you, Mr. Potter, Ms. Evans, that you shouldn't wander around the school grounds without anyone accompanying you. From now on, if you would like to go somewhere, please bring your friends or a teacher. That is, unless if you can go about being unseen." He seemed to be looking straight at James when he said this.

Lily sniggered and James turned beet red.

"We'll be going now, Professor," said the former, still giggling. James went after her stoically.

"You should have seen your face, Potter!" gasped Lily, still laughing. "I mean, Dumbledore knows you have an Invisibility Cloak!"

"Oh, shut it, Evans," snapped James irritably. "I was just attacked by Lord Voldemort. Really, you can be more thoughtful about my feelings, you know."

"Potter, I was just Stunned by Lord Voldemort."

"Oh yeah. Oops, my bad."

As soon as they reached the Fat Lady's portrait on the seventh floor, Arabella and Sirius came bounding to them and crashed into each other. Lily and James took one look at each other and started to laugh.

"Oh yes, very funny, laugh all you want," said Arabella sarcastically, as both she and Sirius got up and dusted themselves. "Be that way and worry your best friends to death."

"I knew you guys were snogging up there, but Bella insisted that we find you anyway," said Sirius smugly.

"Snogging? Do you really think so, Sirius?" said Lily wryly. "Enemies snog all the time in the Astronomy Tower, oh yes!"

"Really? I knew it!"

"Oh, Sirius, Lily was being sarcastic," sighed Arabella.

"Padfoot, you are pathetic," laughed James.

Sirius had a maniacal glint in his eyes. "Prongs, can I be best man?"

"Huh?" James frowned.

"At the wedding of you and Lily."

"Oh, that." He waved it off casually. "Whatever. You probably are the best man anyway, since you're the godfather of Harry, too."

"What a random topic, Sirius," remarked Lily.

"I had to say something before I die for Bella, like the prophecy says," he said solemnly.

"Who knew you were going to be so heroic later on, Sirius," said Arabella, smiling.

"If only we knew..." whispered Lily.

"That was the best experience of my life!" said Sirius, grinning, as they went into the Great Hall tired and yawning.

"Yeah," said Remus, smiling. "Thanks guys. It really made the transformation—er—easier."

"No problem, Moony," said James, looking delighted.

"Now that we found the passageway to Hogsmeade through the one-eyed witch's hump, what are we going to do?" asked Peter.

Everyone looked at him. "What do you mean?"

"Well, this opens a list of possibilities, doesn't it? We can do anything now! We can even go to Hogsmeade during the full moons."

James grinned. "Wormtail, you are a genius. Really. We should create a map that shows every single passageway of Hogwarts, and with everyone's name labelled on it, so we know where all the prefects and teachers are at, so we won't get in trouble. What do you think?"