Chapter 1. Freeze Solid

"Any idea where we're going?" Morgan asked Monday morning in the bullpen. He had a cup of coffee in one hand, as did the rest of the gathering. Reid held his right, Rossi in his left, and Prentiss clutched her's with both hands, attempting to draw its warmth into herself. It was a cold morning in Virginia.

"Illinois, I think," Reid said. He knew.

"Oh, great," Prentiss groaned, "Even colder. My blood is going to freeze solid."

"Actually, though human blood freezes at -2°C to -3°C, it's nearly impossible for blood to freeze in your veins due to the human body's tendency toward homeostasis," Reid recited. He sipped his coffee and awaited Morgan's mocking retort. None came, however. Morgan didn't have the chance. He was thwarted by a sudden outburst from Rossi.

"Alice!" Rossi called, hands flying up. He was calling in the direction of a young woman dressed in a white long-sleeve blouse and dark slacks. She was a few yards from them and accompanied by both Hotch and JJ.

"Rossi!" the girl called back. She was attractive, Reid noticed without avidity. Dressed in a white blouse and black slacks. Her hair shone under the harsh Quantico lighting. She walked up to them, Hotch and JJ in tow.

"I didn't know you were going to be here!" Rossi said.

"Neither did I until last night," the woman said with a good-natured smile.

"I apologize for the short notice," Hotch said, on cue. He wore the same polished suit and stern expression as he always did.

"No problem, happy to help," she replied.

"This is Alice Gardner. She'll be joining us for this next case as part of her training."

"Hey, guys. I've heard a lot about you," Alice said shyly.

"Nice to meet you," Morgan said and Prentiss and Reid followed suit.

"I haven't seen you in ages!" Rossi said, a haze of nostalgia clouding his eyes as he looked at Alice, "How's-"

"Yeah, it sure has been a while," Alice interrupted. Everyone caught it, but no one said anything. Clearly, whatever question Rossi had been about to ask had an unfortunate answer.

"When do we get started?" she asked, tempered eagerness in her voice.

"Garcia's ready to brief us if you'll just follow Morgan up the steps," Hotch said. Alice trailed Morgan obediently and found an empty seat next to Reid. When she looked up to find Garcia standing there in a bright pink outfit, cat-eye glasses, and large, dangling earrings, her eyebrows lifted almost imperceptibly. Then, her attention turned to the board.

"Jocelyn Estrada was found dead in her Chicago home three weeks ago, shot three times in the head. The initial suspect was her husband, but a week later Jasim Quintana and her six-year-old daughter were found shot in their home. One more week later Amy Nolan and her two-month-old were killed the same way."

"Any connection between the women?" Prentiss asked.

"Nothing apparent," Garcia said. Lexie peered at the case file intently.

"Sounds like he's sticking to a schedule, for now," Rossi remarked.

"We're all these women married?" Alice asked, looking up from the case.

"Yes. All three of the husbands were found to have iron-clad alibis. Mark Estrada was giving a speech at a Veteran's Club twenty miles away and the other two were away on business." No one added anything else.

"Alright," Hotch said, "Pack warm. Wheel's up in thirty."

"I don't think my suitcase will fit a space heater," Prentiss mumbled under her breath.