048

5 months later...

I got a call from Darry asking me to come over. I got in my car and drove to their house. I opened the door and walked into the living room.

"Hey guys-" I stared up. In disbelief. I saw Sodapop standing there. My eyes lit up.

"Sodapop!?" I said in disbelief. He smiled and rushed to hug me.

"Oh I'm so glad you're back!" I said. He pulled away.

"Where's Steve?" I asked as I felt myself get happy. He didn't say anything.

"What?" I asked as I looked at him. He didn't say anything.

"Sodapop you better not tell me he died out there." I said as I felt tears get in my eyes.

"God no Elena. He- he's just behind you." Sodapop said. I turned around and was met with Steve leaning against the door frame. I felt myself freeze. There he was. Smirking. That stupid smirk that made me fall in love with him. I had dreamed about this moment in a hundred different ways. And in all of those ways I imagined myself running to him. But for some reason I can't. I'm completely frozen. I can't move. I can't believe he's here.

He's really here. He's here in one piece. He had a cut on his eyebrow and a bruised eye but he was okay. And now that I think about it, Sodapop also had a bruised eye and a bruised cheek.

Steve slowly walked to me and placed a hand on my cheek. My breath hitched. My skin tingled from his touch. I shivered as he placed his other hand on my lower back. We looked into eachother's eyes and. I forgot how it felt to be so lost. To be completely mesmerized by ones stare. I had his eyes in mind every day, but it just wasn't the same as literally physically looking at them. My soft shaky hand slowly moved to his face. I caressed his cheek softly with my fingers. Outlining his cheekbone and jaw. I slowly examined his face. Examining each facial feature that I missed for so long.

And suddenly I smiled.

He smiled that stupid grin of his.  And pulled me in for a kiss.

And that was it. That was all. That was everything I needed. To feel completely alive. It's like someone handed me my life back. Which they did. Steve came back. Alive. In one piece. I pulled away and just embraced him in a hug. I began crying. I heard the gang leave.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"You left and I didn't get to tell you how much I love you. You stopped writing me and I kept sending letters and I thought you were dead and I didn't know how I would've dealt with it and you're here now and although I dreamed about how this moment would go, this feels like a fever dream. I feel like if I wake up  you're gonna be gone. And I just want you to know that I love you. So much. And that I missed you. And although it seems like I'm mad at you I'm not. I'm so proud of you for the immense sacrifice you took." I said as I sobbed. He smiled and kissed my forehead.

"I promise I'm here to stay. I'm not gonna leave. I'm staying here.." he whispered kissing the top of my hand. I smiled and we wiped my tears. Walking out to the front porch. We decided to go out to diner since this was a special occasion.

"So how did they let you come back?" Darry asked.

"We got in a fight with eachother and they told us to leave or something like that I don't really remember." Soda shrugged. I simply laughed and shook my head.

Meredith was due in a couple of weeks and we were all excited. Having Steve back made me feel happy and at peace. Tonight, I felt alive.