Chapter 11

I hadn't even realised how long Hermione had been brushing my once-tangled hair until I could feel it become ecstatic.

She'd been fussing over me ever since she realised Draco had taken me into the Slytherin common room, assuming it was against my will.

I sat slumped on the bed and I stared into space, trying to cope up more words to explain to her what had just happened in Snape's classroom.

Quite frankly, I didn't want to go over the whole entire story again, and I didn't exactly want to tell her, either.

I could hear Hermione list off countless reasons as to why she hated Snape, completely side-tracking from myself and moving straight onto her own grudges, but I didn't care.

I couldn't care, not right now.

Not after Draco had just lied to me, and for whatever reason I have no idea.

On a usual day, I would've challenged him and fought back, but I hadn't the courage or effort to do it today after Snape had completely drained me of my confidence.

Confronting Draco would've only made the situation worse, especially given that he discouraged how eager I was to get answers from Snape, which I still can't comprehend. Draco got really defensive whenever Snape moved towards me, and although I didn't visibly show it, he somehow still felt destined to protect me from him.

Draco's incapable of fear. He's so driven by his own ego that he doesn't see anyone else as a threat or competition to him, so to think that someone as unthreatening and dull as Snape intimidated him only tests my curiosity even further.

Or maybe he was just intimidating to the naked eye, but Draco made it impeccably clear that I wasn't to find out.

My thoughts were quickly sunken whenever I felt a nudge on my shoulder as Hermione encouraged me to answer her questions.

Startled, I stared at her bleakly as she leant her head over my shoulder to further catch my attention.

'Well?' She pressed, nodding her head slightly to inspire a response.

My expression stayed the same, my eyes widening a little and my jaw dropping a fraction to inform her that I hadn't been listening to a single thing she'd just said.

'I said, what's going on with you and Malfoy?' She questioned, a tad of ignorance and anger lacing her words as she crossed her arms and darted a brow at me.

Fuck.

My bewildered state evaporated as I immediately straightened myself up, ruffling my hands through my freshly brushed hair, messing it up to return it back to it's natural look.

My fingers scattered through the strands as I desperately tried to seem unbothered by Hermione's bold question.

I knew this girl was inquisitive and spoke her mind at all times, but even this had caught me off guard.

I could do all but defend myself as a breathy chuckle was the only thing managing to escape my throat, my nerves nagging at me the more the silence filled the room.

Hermione hated Draco, and the reason to me is still unknown.

I've tried pushing for an answer sometimes, but I'm forever met with harsh, warning eyes that glare through my own.

Hermione's face hardened as her jaw clenched, frustratingly slapping the hairbrush down beside her and inhaling a few times before following my response.

The silence had been enough indication that even hearing his name was enough to knock the words right out of me.

'I knew it. I bloody knew it.' She bawled out, her cheeks flustering as she tore her hands away from my hair to collapse them across her mouth.