dolly's

roland's home, 07:49 am

"And when he started driving, he crashed into her brother's fucking front door. They had to leave through some fire escape or something."

I was dying of laughter. It was comforting to feel a sense of security again. "I have to admit, even though I've been on so many bad first dates, that's definitely the worst one I've heard of by far."

Roland stared into my eyes as we lay there in his bed joking for the past hour. I was glad, if I'm being honest. Having my mind off of some old dumb memories helped me feel a lot better. That's all I ever wanted.

"Oh shit. Class starts in less than an hour. I'd rather spend the day with you though." He smiled and kissed me.

"Shut up," I laughed as I got up, put my shirt on, and pulled up my shorts.

-----

dolly's apartment, 3:34 pm

"You sure you don't want a glass of lemonade? Stewey was ecstatic when I told her you were coming and made it just for you."

"I'm cool—still really stuffed from lunch. Also your stepmom's so sweet — what the hell is your dad up to with their relationship again?" I joked, resting my arm on the countertop. 

"Oh, you know him. So fucking indecisive. I think he's cheated on her multiple times with the landlady but I can't tell."

Meet Dolly Wisconsin, a close friend of mine from Mississippi ever since freshman year of high school. She's a rising local rockstar that's the also chillest redhead I've ever come across. We went through everything together—high school, college (she attends one 5 miles west of mine), breakups, and all the ups and downs of life. Her parents got divorced years ago, so we would sometimes take custody of her when times got super rough.

"That landlady was kinda sus when I walked in though. Must've been the long red acrylic nails, I dunno," I giggled. "How's things with Natalie going?"

"Bruh don't you remember when I told you that I broke up with her?"

"Oh shit, my bad."

"You fucking suck Mace."

"I know, I know. What happened though?" I plopped down on the couch.

"Wasn't really working out. I'm seeing a new girl though, but my dad doesn't really like her. She's good with Stewey though."

"What's her name?"

"Elle."

I choked on plain air. "Last name?" I managed to merely gasp out.

"Why do you ask?"

"Sounds...kinda familiar." There was no way this was happening to me right now. Half of me wanted to punch her in the face for letting that demon back into my life, but the other half of me also wanted to punch her in the face for dating...my girl?

A wave of relief swept over me as she replied, "Martin, I think."

"Oh, nice. But didn't you say your dad wasn't good with her though?"

"Yeah...we're sorting it out right now. The old bag of wrinkles has pretty much hated every girl I've brought home, so I've kind of given up. Besides, I don't really care if he'd be at my wedding in the future or not. My dream would be to become a richass guitar-playing bad-bitch lesbian lead singer of a garage band and tour the world giving less fucks than Gordon Ramsey on a reality TV show."

I laughed. "Sounds dedicated." I fiddled with the bottom of my shirt.

"How about you? What's your dream?" Dolly plopped on the couch right next to me as we lay there, staring endlessly at the cheap, leaky popcorn ceiling.

I pondered on a few responses, then decided to make one up to make myself sound less boring and lovesick. "I don't know. Maybe going to business school and getting my own small business off the west coast."

"That? Sounds lame and so uninspiring. Try again."

I laughed. "Dreams, huh?"