Winter - Lost

Winter.

The low copper bells resounded in the temple.  He could hear it from where he stood outside in the graveyard, his gray eyes fixed on the fresh grave in front of him.  His hands held flowers he knew she'd never smell again.  His eye betrayed a silent tear he knew she'd never see again.  He clenched his hand, which she'd never hold again, tightly into an agitated fist.

Clouds hung, darkening the sky, low and impending, and the world seemed to hold its breath, still and dead, waiting expectantly for him to fully take in the situation.  Birds didn't dare chirp, the grass barely whispering.  He could still hear her.  Hear her voice whispering -no, singing- with the grass.  Running his fingers through his raven hair, not letting himself become betrayed by emotion, he gently placed the flowers by the grave, kneeling beside it.

"Kyo-san," a familiar voice spoke behind him.  "It's almost time to go."

Hibari didn't even turn to face the Vice Chairman.  "You may go on ahead.  I will be there in a few minutes, Tetsu."

Kusakabe nodded and walked away.  Hibari remained, motionless, kneeling by  the marble tombstone.  He leaned his back against the tombstone, staring up at the clouds multiplying.  "It's going to snow," Kyoya said aloud, his voice echoing through the empty cemetery.  There was no response.

After a couple of moments, Hibari tied something onto the tombstone and slowly walked away, just as fresh snow started to fall.

It was his Namimori Middle Discipline Committee arm band.