Adolescence

6 months ago

I'd lay with you till the end of time

Alone, together, side by side

Never wanting to let go

I love you more than you'll ever know

—————

My Darling Florence,

I miss you and your mother more and more with each passing day. Knowing that i've been absent for so long and have missed so much of your life pains me. I am still unable to wrap my head around the fact that you are now sixteen years of age and all grown up. Mother sent me your photo and I suspect that you're now easily taller than her.

I hope all remains well at the manor and you are doing your duties as you should. I have no doubts that you're wonderful at your job, you never were much of a rascal. I've been in the Netherlands for almost a year now and time seems to pass faster and faster the longer I spend out here.

Oh but you'd love it, you wouldn't be able to get enough of the empty fields and endless horizons. I know how much the odd building interrupting an otherwise perfect landscape annoys you. Maybe we can all visit once I retire, I've only got a few years left anyways and by then, I should have enough saved to bring you all out here.

I'm afraid that this letter must end somewhere. We are only given one sheet a week and I must also write to your mother or we both know she'll have my head. Take care of her Florence, she's getting older, we both are.

And wish the young master a happy birthday from me. I expect this to arrive just in time for the big day. Eighteen is as important for him as sixteen was for you, and now that he's a man, he'll be in a position to do important things, things that can change the lives of people like us.

But I trust him Florence. He's always been kind to us and he's taken care of you so well. I never told you this, but every time I leave, I make him promise to watch over you, for me. Knowing that I cannot be there to help you if ever necessary terrifies me. So knowing that he is there for you whenever you need someone brings me such peace in a place of such turmoil, I cannot express my gratitude for him.

It won't be long now until I return. Everything I do, I do for you and your mother, so that we may live together in comfort as a family. I know it may seem unfair sometimes that I'm never there, but just know that there is nothing I wish for more than to return home.

Be good my sweet.

All of my love,

Papa

—————

Florence couldn't count the number of times she had tripped over the skirt of her dress while running. But whatever it was, she was sure she had just doubled it between the short amount of time it took her to run from the kitchen to the treehouse, scarcely avoiding being caught by her mother.

With a small, chocolate muffin in one hand, and a haphazardly wrapped parcel held securely in the other, she treaded through the overgrown grass on the edge of the estate. Cursing herself for not having thought to bring along a candle or some other form of light, her feet wobbled on the uneven terrain, the only proof she had that she was in fact going in the right direction being the shine that radiated from her destination, telling her that the boy was already there and waiting for her.

Tossing the package up first, she pulled herself up the tree, doing her best to preserve the muffin in its original shape. Florence was all smiles as she arrived, taking a moment to catch her breath as she found herself feeling unusually winded. I haven't been eating enough. Racing towards the boy who now stood before her, she tackled him to the ground, hugging him tight and refusing to let go until she was satisfied with the embrace.